Ford Forums banner

'99 Expedition XLT - Stuck in 4wd

8K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Hello,

So here is what happened...

My Expedition went in to automatic 4wd mode (still irks me that it doesn't have a 2wd setting). since then, it seems to be "stuck" in whatever 4x4 position i set it in (it shifts fine between 4hi and 4L)

when turning it feels like the parking break is engaged, and starts to chirp tires and hop a little.

needless to say, it is parked in my drive way.

I have tried driving forward and backwards to try and get it "unstuck" i have also tried letting it "roll" down a hill, forwards and backwards to see if that helps.

I have tried resetting every computer and electronic component i can think of.

I have a couple of questions...
the first, obviously. does anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong with it?
the second, if i were to just go and replace my front "automatic" locking hubs with manual locking hubs, would that a, solve the problem, and b, cause any long term damage?

oh, i should say that this truck does have 142k on it. and aside from it's current situation, runs like a champ.

any help would be great. even if it seems like it is something i should have already tried. ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
As you said "it went into auto mode", I gather you have the electronic knob selector switch for 4WD. I would bet the TCCM has failed and thus you're stuck in 4lock. The TCCM (transfer case control module) should be located under the dash along the drivers side toward the center console area. I'd phone around local salvage yards for a replacement as the dealer will charge you hundreds of dollars for this. If you can, be sure to take one from the lowest mileage vehicle you can find. A lot of yards test their parts and offer at least a 30-90day warranty as well, even if you install it yourself. Most have the space to install the parts you buy for you for a decent price with a longer warranty, such as 6mo to a year.

Rocking/rolling the vehicle in reverse generally works best for manual transfer cases, not electronic as they are more involved. I would bet that replacing the TCCM should solve your problem and get your beast back on the road!

I would only touch the hubs as a last resort. Worst case here I think is having to replace the transfer case unit itself. Some shops will wrongly diagnose this, as they aren't aware that replacing the TCCM generally solves the problem.

#3 ·
Pardon my ignorance with this...

but I am having a hard time finding a "transfer case control module" part or location reference for my truck.

the closest thing i can find is information saying that the GEM is responsible for that.

if that is the case. is it possible for the GEM to only be failing in one of it's roles? on the same note, if i have just "failed at google" and i just missed the references. is it possible for the TCCM to still work enough to move the transfer case between 4Hi and 4L?

The only 2 computers I have seen in this rig are on the right side of the passenger side foot area.

On a side note, i can't actually put manual locking hubs on this truck. nobody makes them.

One of the local (recommended 4x4 shops) suggested that maybe i need to pull the hubs apart, clean them and put them back. that is a messy / ugly job, and i would much rather replace a computer ;)

#4 ·
You're right. Ford does call it the GEM, obviously it's no solitaire.... I found this link below, I'm not sure if you saw it already or not, just to throw an idea at you. Apparently there might be a TSB to fix this(?), you'll have to get your dealer to scan your VIN to know if the TSBs have been done or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.