AC Blower turns ON when key is turned off. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 12:57   #1 (permalink)

AC Blower turns ON when key is turned off.

Just started happening today. 2001 Eddie Bauer, 5.4.

Its a rainy day here. When I drove it on a short trip, when I turned it off, the blower turned on high. I removed the key, blower was still running. When I started the engine, the blower goes back to be controled by the A/C - Heater controls. Auto, off, speed control all work normally.

I pulled fuse #24, as I did not want to return to a dead battery.

Any ideas? Maybe something just got wet, and will dry on its own.

Thanks.
Jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 18:36   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: AC Blower turns ON when key is turned off.

Water may have gotten into the blower motor and shorted. Check the passenger side floor and see if it's wet or anything in that area.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:36   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. There is not any water in the floorboard. It started getting stranger yesterday evening.

When I put the fuse back in before starting home from work, the blower came on as before. While driving home, the radio cut out. I also noticed that the wipers would not adjust their speed anymore... just on a slow intermittant setting (it was still raining). When I turned a corner to the right, the radio came back on for just a second. When I got home and turned the key off, the blower would run, but it was now controlled by the AC panel controls. I could turn the system off, and the blower would go off... and the "Outside Temperature" display remained on. I turned the key back to the on position, and the radio started working. I removed the key and left it like that overnight, and thats how it was this morning... temp display was still on, blower not running.

When I drove it this morning, the radio, blower, and wipers were working as normal. After a couple of minutes of driving, I got a warning tone, like the one when the washer fluid light comes on. I looked for the light, but it did not come on. The tone repeated - total of 5 times, then stopped, then repeated 5 times again, and I think it did it again. 3 sequences of 5 tones. Everything still working. When I parked it, the Outside Temp display is on, and the blower is controlled by the ON / OFF setting on the A/C Panel.

Any ideas?
By the way.... I've read through a few of postings on this forum. You really do a great job of this. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2006, 14:16   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Thanks man. I got an idea. Post your VIN# or PM it to me and I will run it through the Ford site for ya.
Old 10-26-2006, 15:45   #5 (permalink)

Sure... the VIN is 1FMRU17L21LA86361

Things may have dried out now. When I got in it at lunch, the outside temp display was still on, but after driving it, everything was normal. No blower or display on. I did not have any issues driving it.

One other thing, I can post a new thread if you want. I got the speed control recall work performed right after the recall was anounced, but I still received a reminder notice about it several months back. When I log into My Ford, it still shows that as outstanding recall work. Can I verify that it was updated? I guess I should just contact my dealer and have them mark it as performed.

Thanks again.
Jim
Old 10-26-2006, 21:19   #6 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

I will run your VIN tomorrow at work.
The recall is a 2 step process. You will have to return for the new harness to be installed.
Old 12-20-2006, 23:20   #7 (permalink)

confused Re: AC Blower turns ON when key is turned off.

Hey, Mullet Man. This thing started happening to me again today. Its a little moist around here, but not major rains and have not driven through any puddles.

The first thing I noticed this time was the beep codes. It was a series of 5 beeps, repeated a total of 3 times. And the climate controls remain powered when the key is removed. Everything else seems normal. No check engine light, or any other indicator of problem... been having a little cold idle problems lately, does not seem related.

Any way you can find what that beep code is?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-22-2006, 21:20   #8 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Hmmmmm.........

I will have to break out the book for that one!
Old 01-16-2007, 21:50   #9 (permalink)

I believe this is a known issue and a rain/splash guard was installed to correct it. Your shorting a module when it gets wet. I believe it may be condensation from the A/C and spalsh from the rain. Look for a module below and near the drain for the front A/C. BTW if you live in a temperate climate that has days above 40F or so the compressor still kicks on to help remove moisture from the air.
magoogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 20:51   #10 (permalink)

tech-104 i too am having this issue. blower switch clicks a relay under the dash when key is off when it seems to working okay. rear wiper also doesnt work but washer does. Im leaning more toward a body control module or a lighting control module. they have a circuit board in them which may have developed a crack or a relay on the board. let me know its aggravating. also could be expensive.
tech-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum