amp and sub installation - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 19:45   #1 (permalink)

amp and sub installation

I have a 97 expedition, eddie bauer edition. It has the mach audio system and 6 disc changed. can I install an aftermarket amp and subwoofer system into the car using the stock stereo, or does it require some special hardware?

I want to install an amp and a couple of 12 or 15" woofers in my truck, but want to know if its possible with the current system or if I have to do something special.

By the way, if possible, I would like to keep my original head unit so that I can still use my 6 disc changer.

Is this the only part I need?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...142SLC4-F.jpeg

that plugs into the speakers, than outputs via rca to the aftermarket amp and sub in the back?
ex0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 20:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: amp and sub installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex0r View Post
I have a 97 expedition, eddie bauer edition. It has the mach audio system and 6 disc changed. can I install an aftermarket amp and subwoofer system into the car using the stock stereo, or does it require some special hardware?

I want to install an amp and a couple of 12 or 15" woofers in my truck, but want to know if its possible with the current system or if I have to do something special.
Hello and good day:

I'm sure you can...If you got the Money!! You may want to check out some stores that specialize in this or online custom shops
Old 06-20-2011, 22:47   #3 (permalink)

Yes you can..
correct me if I'm wrong. What you need to do is tap into the rear low level speaker between the head unit and the OEM amp. run that signal to your after market amp and hook up has you would want it. the remote switch can be trigger by the headunit's 'timer' power supply usually yellow. the amp power would run from the battery, using high gage wire and fuse has you would with any other add on.

Assuming that your head unit sends low audio signals to the oem amp and then to its original speakers.

I added a set of third row speakers to my navigator by doing this (no subs though)
dtd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 13:17   #4 (permalink)

Okay, I think I found what I need to do. let me know if this sounds right.

There is an amp bypass harness you can buy, which bypasses the factory amp and subwoofer. There is also an in-line output convertor that you can buy to turn the speaker leads into rca leads.

So, I am thinking, what I need to do, is disconnect the factory amp, and plug in the amp bypass harness. Than on the other end of the harness, wire in the convertor and connect the aftermarket amp to the convertor.

Does that sound about right? I am not familiar with the mach system or the expedition, so I am not sure if that's what needs to be done or not.

Something like this for the bypass: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a-70-5513.html

and this for the convertor: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...che-SLC-4.html

I'm trying to find a solution that results in: 1.) Still using original head unit and 6 disc changer, and b.) Doesn't require splicing into the existing wiring harness (If possible)
Old 06-21-2011, 23:32   #5 (permalink)

use what ever method that you feel comfortable with. I went ahead and splice in to the wires myself. I don't feel good about using the converter since the oem amp is doing too much work making power and then reducing it, its a heat factor.
dtd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 13:47   #6 (permalink)

Okay, I found what I need to do.

I can get one of those schoche in-line convertors, like pictured below:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...142SLC4-F.jpeg

and with that, I can wire into the rear speakers at the head unit, into the 'input' on one side (Splice two additional wires into the original harness, and plug those wires into that box), than run the rcas to the 'output' on that box. It may be easier though, instead of putting it behind the head unit, if I move it closer to the amp and subwoofers and connect directly into the rear speakers, than I won't need to run so much extra wire as the rear speakers are in the back anyways.

From there I hook the amp up regular and use the chassis in the back as ground. One question I have though is, since the battery is on the passenger side, I am going to run the amp 12v wire along the passenger side, but is there a good hole in the firewall to run it out of, or do I have to drill a new one?

Some idiot before me installed some cheap fog lights inside the grill, and I removed them, but the switch is still there, so I am going to hook the remote turn on wire to the switch so i can turn the amp off and still listen to the radio when I don't want the amp on (My wife likes to listen to rock and stuff too, so that'll help)

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum