Any suggestions on increasing MPG on 2004 Navigator? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 00:28   #1 (permalink)

Any suggestions on increasing MPG on 2004 Navigator?

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has any ideas or products that worked for them in order to boost the whoopin 11mpg that I get on my 04 Navigator??
Navigator22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 09:02   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Any suggestions on increasing MPG?

If we could get rid of the ethanol in the gas, there's be a nice increase right there. I don't know of any but maybe someone will post some ideas.
Old 02-02-2010, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Ethanol. Ick.

There's no easy way to increase mileage on a 2.5 ton SUV. I know first hand. I've tried, but since I use it mostly for towing I keep it for that alone and drive my car when towing the trailer isn't required.

First off, be sure to check your tire pressure, bring it up 1-2psi below the maximum. This gives you some leeway when driving on the highway, even in the winter, tires will warm up and you'll be at, or just over the max pressure for maximum fuel economy. When it comes time to replace tires, get something with a smooth tread that's not aggressive. Most manufacturers even post tire weights for a specific size and tire model online. 5lbs a tire = 20lbs less in rolling resistance. if you have any crap in the back of the vehicle that doesn't need to be there, leave it at home. A little weight savings can go a long way. As an example, I used an old grand caravan for commuting (work van) and removed the rear seats, and I gained an extra 55miles a tank just from that alone. Total weight saved was a good 250-300lbs. If you need your seats, that's fine, but it's just something to give you an idea.

A properly tuned engine is another plus. If you use cellulose paper drop in filters, be sure to change it every second oil change for best breathing.

The worst thing you can do is take advantage of the aftermarket products that state they can provide better mileage, but really if they did, it would take you years to offset the costs of buying those products in the first place.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 21:55   #4 (permalink)

How many miles on your 04 Navi?

Maybe...
New plugs and wires
New Air filter, maybe a better air filter than stock.
tune up....
VampyreLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:36   #5 (permalink)
canuck

To put it into another perspective. A friend of mine who drives a LIGHT weight (relatively) 2007 Honda Civic. He was getting 32mpg highway for his commute and after spending thousands on aftermarket products that would help increase fuel economy, he found the solution, that didn't cost him anything. Mind you, he's a fairly hefty guy at around 300lbs, He dropped down to 210 in just over a year and he's been logging 25+mpg ever since.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:55   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator22 View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has any ideas or products that worked for them in order to boost the whoopin 11mpg that I get on my 04 Navigator??
Fisrt how is your milage so poor? City should be about 13, highway should be 17-18 stock.

I got an 04 Expedition EB, I get 24-25mpg highway on regular unleaded. I used a full K&N intake, replaced stock muffler with a Magnaflow, run Royal Purple oil, tanny fluid, diff fluid, and coolant additive. But 2-3mpg will come from a dual electric fan swap.

5-6mpg increase is like 100 extra miles on your road trip. So for somebody to tell you it's not worth it.....well it may take a while to pay for itself but it is defiantely worth it.
rebel750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 23:12   #7 (permalink)

kn air intake i installed gave me 1.5 to 2 more mpg according to my dash. thats on a 03 navi with 90000 miles. im also looking into and exhaust upgrade and maybe a programmer for better mileage. Im at 16 right now, but i dont have a highway commute, just city driving mostly.
matthorvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:25   #8 (permalink)
canuck

Careful. Overhead computers calculate mileage only on how often the injectors are open. The more fuel you give the vehicle the more time the injectors are open for and the PCM doesn't calculate in weather, low tire pressure, etc, into the calculation equation so chances are very likely that your computer is overstating your mileage.

Adding modifications it's always best to get a proper tune for the vehicle so the PCM can recognize the added air flow and adjust accordingly. It might add to slight mileage, or the 'mileage' you think you're getting is just a figment of your imagination until you calculate it out by hand on a regular basis to get a 'true' mileage estimate.

E-fan is a good mod!
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27   #9 (permalink)

One thing I've noticed is my mileage improves a bit after washing and waxing my Expod. These things are about as aerodynamic as a refridgerator, so anything you can do to make them more aerodynamic will help. I replaced the stock roof rack with a removable Yakima rack, so the roof line is smoothed out. I put the bars back up there whenever I haul my canoe or something else up there. I installed a Volant cold air intake and use Mobil One synthetic oil as well. The 2-wheel drive models are going to see a little better mileage than the 4x4 models. I seem to see better mileage in cool weather rather than hot weather too. There are many factors involved but if you see 18-20 mpg on the highway you're doing good.

- Mike
Hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 13:08   #10 (permalink)

A lead foot & the brake pedal waste fuel.
Jackrabbit starts, tail gating or following too closely, and accelerating unnecessarily, such as when approaching a stop sign or stop light, can lower the fuel economy. Low tire pressure & an unused luggage rack impact the fuel economy as mentioned.

Does the vehicle have a tachometer?
When the car is driven, the tachometer can be used to improve the fuel economy.
The more rpms yer turnin, the more fuel yer burnin.
So, knowing the shift points of the transmission & driving the car by maintaining the speed towards the low end of a particular gear should improve the mpg.
My Escape has a 5-spd manual transmission, so I'm accustomed to using the tachometer. When I drive my wife's Honda Element w automatic transmission, I use the tachometer to monitor the speed. Doing so should improve the fuel economy. Driving the posted speed limits & sometimes a little below or a little above yield better fuel economy, depending upon when the transmission shifts.
hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum