bad head gasket question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-17, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

bad head gasket question

98 Lincoln Navigator. I have oil in the engine. Pretty sure it's a bad head gasket. Was able to drive it for a while, but now it's gotten worse. I used a code reader to check out the codes. Posting them here. Can someone explain the code meanings and maybe if they can be fixed. Or is it a goner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-17, 01:26 PM
Moderators

How do you know you have oil in the engine? Do you mean its burning a lot of oil?

A tell tale sign of a blown head gasket is oil in the coolant and vise versa. Your codes point towards a few things including a bad maf and a big vacuum leak. What symptoms are you experiencing?
Ben Jimenez likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-17, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: bad head gasket question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85ltdcrownvic View Post
How do you know you have oil in the engine? Do you mean its burning a lot of oil?

A tell tale sign of a blown head gasket is oil in the coolant and vise versa. Your codes point towards a few things including a bad maf and a big vacuum leak. What symptoms are you experiencing?
I'm sorry I meant to say water in the engine. My idle is very choppy. If I drive I notice that my power is not that good. When I'm at idle at a stop light the engine turns off because of the bad/low idle. I think the water in the engine is messing with the sensors and causing them to read bad data.

I had been driving my car around with a bad/leaky radiator. I finally got it fixed with a new one, and a few weeks after I go it fixed I started having the idle issues. I checked the oil and I noticed it looked like chocolate milk. Right away I new it was water. I was confused on how this could happen after I got the radiator changed.

So, how hard is it to change the gasket? or how can I check to make sure thats what it is? I don't have money to spend to pay a machanic, but I might be able to do it myself if it's not that complex. I do have the mechanic book for my car.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-17, 04:07 PM
2002 F150 XLT

Is it still running hot? It doesn't sound like a head gasket problem. Try unplugging the MAF and see how it runs.

Bert
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-17, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Is it still running hot? It doesn't sound like a head gasket problem. Try unplugging the MAF and see how it runs.

Hi,

Ok. I'll try disconnecting the MAF tomorrow. I have never had any issues with the MAF or other sensors until I noticed the water in the oil and started having the idle issue. I checked my air filter and it's really dirty too, looks like it has dried up oil on it also.

Ben
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-17, 03:35 AM
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jimenez View Post
Quote:

I'm sorry I meant to say water in the engine. My idle is very choppy. If I drive I notice that my power is not that good. When I'm at idle at a stop light the engine turns off because of the bad/low idle. I think the water in the engine is messing with the sensors and causing them to read bad data.

I had been driving my car around with a bad/leaky radiator. I finally got it fixed with a new one, and a few weeks after I go it fixed I started having the idle issues. I checked the oil and I noticed it looked like chocolate milk. Right away I new it was water. I was confused on how this could happen after I got the radiator changed.

So, how hard is it to change the gasket? or how can I check to make sure thats what it is? I don't have money to spend to pay a machanic, but I might be able to do it myself if it's not that complex. I do have the mechanic book for my car.
Its ok man I just wanted to clarify to help better. When you say your oil looks like a milkshake (which is indicative of a blown head gasket between the water jacket and head) are you looking at it on the dipstick or oil cap?

Usually a bad head gasket wont make a car die and doesnt affect the idle too much, depending on a few factors. Im hesitant to say its the head gasket yet. A compression test will confirm whether it is or not.

Now, as Bert was alluding to, a leaking radiator could have caused an overheating condition that blew the head gasket but did it ever overheat?

But just having a blown head gasket will not throw these codes, theres more going on and its most likely the maf or a vacuum leak. I would do as Bert says and a compression test.

Not to jump ahead but I want to point out that if it did overheat and the head gasket blew you could have more trouble. Its possible that the heads warped and a new head gasket will do nothing at that point.
Bert likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-17, 05:31 AM
Moderators

Carry out a block test .Watch the water in engine as too much and it may cause it to hydraulic if you keep on running it without draining .

Never, never, never give up.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-17, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Its ok man I just wanted to clarify to help better. When you say your oil looks like a milkshake (which is indicative of a blown head gasket between the water jacket and head) are you looking at it on the dipstick or oil cap?

Usually a bad head gasket wont make a car die and doesnt affect the idle too much, depending on a few factors. Im hesitant to say its the head gasket yet. A compression test will confirm whether it is or not.

Now, as Bert was alluding to, a leaking radiator could have caused an overheating condition that blew the head gasket but did it ever overheat?

But just having a blown head gasket will not throw these codes, theres more going on and its most likely the maf or a vacuum leak. I would do as Bert says and a compression test.

Not to jump ahead but I want to point out that if it did overheat and the head gasket blew you could have more trouble. Its possible that the heads warped and a new head gasket will do nothing at that point.

Hi,

The milkshake color is only on the fill cap side for oil. The dip stick side is still just oil.

I did drive the car for about a month or more with the leaking radiator. I tried lots of quick fix patch kits to fix the hole but had no luck. There were times that I drove it with very low water levels, but the car never turned off from over heating.

when my troubles all started (after i fixed the radiator) I started having trouble starting the car. It would turn over but then half way through a spin it would just stop like as if something got stuck. I would then try to start it again and it would start up. I thought it was because of low oil or a bad starter.

Then I noticed a small choppiness to the idle which I thought was possibly because I needed a tune up (spark plugs mostly). Then about a month later the choppiness got a little worse and I got my first trouble code which indicated the lean mix on bank 2. At this point was when I discovered what look like milkshake oil in my engine. So I assumed right away it was a head gasket.

Now it's gotten worse all of a sudden, but I can say that after I start driving the car it seems to smooth out during acceleration and is only choppy when I'm at idle, but I notice the idle goes very low then up a little then low again and sometimes it will turn off. If I hold the gas petal down a little to keep it close to the 2 on the rpm gauge it will stay on.

Yeah I'm thinking that the engine did over heat and I have warped something. So I'm looking into retiring the truck now. I'm hoping it lasts until then.

If I can get it to a shop I'll to the compression test, but as of now, I'm trying not to drive it as much as I can.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-17, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Carry out a block test .Watch the water in engine as too much and it may cause it to hydraulic if you keep on running it without draining .

When you say hydraulic you mean to freeze up? or just turn off?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-17, 07:55 AM
Moderators

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/e...ine-90270.html

Never, never, never give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum