C/E light says "Too Lean on Bank1 and Bank2" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 20:13   #1 (permalink)

C/E light says "Too Lean on Bank1 and Bank2"

So what could my problem be? I just bought it mine. Its a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition, 4x4. 5.4L Engine Code L. So, I put about 80 miles on it since I got it, and then the C/E light comes on. So I scan it, and a buddy tells me that it is probably too low on gas with the trash in the tank. So I fuel it up and clear the code. I get it down to about 1/4 tank, and it comes on again. So, I put a little over 10 gallons in it today, and I am going to swap the fuel filter. On the way to work today though, I did notice that uphill, It seemed like it misfired like crazy, or mabye shuddering. It was a strong symptom whatever you would call it, but when I cleared the hill, it wasn't really there. I notice that I did release the throttle a lot when I cleared the hill, but I pushed it again on flat ground and it didnt do it again. When I change the fuel filter I am also going to throw some lucas cleaner in there too. But I am thinking maybe clean the MAP sensors and all the air related sensors as well, and get all of that over with. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: C/E light says "Too Lean on Bank1 and Bank2"

Definitely replace the fuel filter. The way it is, it's putting a strain on the fuel pump and it'll wear out quickly. Cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner will help the running. There also could be a vacuum leak.
Old 01-22-2011, 22:13   #3 (permalink)

On mine it was just a dirty mass airflow sensor. I got a can of MAF cleaner from the local autoparts store and took the MAF out and spray cleaned the sensor area. No problems or codes since. If the MAF sensor is dirty or oil covered it can't tell the computer how much air is passing through. It's right there coming out of the airfilter box in the intake tube.
Might try that. You might as well pickup one of the available DTC code readers while you're at it. They're cheap and really come in handy. You can also pull DTC codes from the message center by running it through the TEST mode (hold down the "info" and "reset" buttons together for 4 seconds...).

- Mike

Hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 00:32   #4 (permalink)

My next question is... because I would like to isolate the problem, is this one of the vehicles that can clear a code itself after so many drive cycles? because if it is, then I will fix each thing individually and then commence the drive cycles, and see which one it was for sure and let you guys know. BTW, any possibility this could be any more serious of a problem that you can think of?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Start with the basics. Do the filter and MAF, unhook the battery for a few min. and the light won't come back on for a little while. The codes will still be there in memory. Check for vacuum leaks and especially around the PCV.
Old 01-23-2011, 15:11   #6 (permalink)

Alright now it gets a little tricky. I replaced the old fuel filter, which was definitely in need of changing. And oh boy was it hard to get those lines off lol. Then, I cleaned the MAF sensor, and the other little sensor in the air duct, MAP sensor maybe?? I also threw some seafoam in the tank, with 1/2 a tank in there. Didn't fix it. I drove for about 8 miles, but the minute I pulled out of my driveway it started doing the misfire/shudder thing again. It is fairly violent, and I drove it for a while to see if it would go away. The check engine light didn't come back on, I dont know whats going on. So I brought it home and sprayed some carb cleaner on every vaccum line I could find, and as much on of the intake I could get to, and no leaks found. Now what??? I need to know some good advice soon, as here in about a week, my newborn will be riding in the back of it. I dont like to be accused of shaking babies, and neither does my Expedition.
Old 01-23-2011, 17:02   #7 (permalink)

**Update**

Okay, so I checked around and someone said to check the pcv valve and hose. I pulled off the valve and hose together, checked them, pulled the insulation off, and no holes, collapses, or anything. PCV valve is good, and sealing very well. I checked the DPFE hoses, they looked replaced recently, and I sprayed them down with carb cleaner, no sign of vacuum trouble there. I checked the iac for vacuum leaks, none shown. I sprayed down the intake runners again, and no sign of problems there. Still no C/E light back on. I need to fix this quick. I am being told at this point it could be fuel pump, cracked intake, bad sealing intake, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and so on. So I am going to have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to it and see where its at when its idling. Then I will go from there.
Old 01-23-2011, 20:12   #8 (permalink)

**Yet another update**

Okay, so on my way to work tonight, my symptoms died down to almost non existant, and believe me, I have an ear and a feel for this stuff. I took my boss for a ride in it to see what he thinks, and we barely could get a symptom. I drove it down the interstate, I drove through city, romped on it, and turned o/d on and off, and cannot really get the symptom to show very much except at takeoff. So maybe the seafoam is working. I will post tomorrow to let you guys know if it gets better or worse.
Old 01-23-2011, 20:55   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Keep us posted. The MAF can be checked by unplugging it. If it runs good, the MAF is dirty or defective.
Old 01-23-2011, 21:07   #10 (permalink)

Now wait, that brings me to another question. The sensor right after the air filter cannot be unplugged from what I can tell. It has a spongy grommet type thing, but the wires run straight in, I guess it get unplugged further in the harness somewhere. The other sensor I guess is what you are talking about. I will try that one tomorrow when I leave work. Should I warm it up first? My thing is, the way these obdII vehicles are designed, I should have a C/E light on if that sensor is bad. But thats my opinion I have replaced and fixed some before that werent sending a C/E light. Its a cruel world lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum