Door Ajar Light And Dome Light - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 19:32   #1 (permalink)

Door Ajar Light And Dome Light

My door ajar light will not go off and my dome light will not turn off. Has anyone had this happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
JOHANSONFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 20:10   #2 (permalink)
Unregistered

Re: Door Ajar Light And Dome Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHANSONFAM
My door ajar light will not go off and my dome light will not turn off. Has anyone had this happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
yes, I am having this problem as well w/ my 03 expo. Sometimes it goes of but most of the time it stays on
Old 01-19-2006, 19:45   #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Door Ajar Light And Dome Light

Quote:

Thank you
Same problem in '99 Expedition. I've taken it in 3 times in 3 years. The dealer has seemed to fix it twice, yet each time it happened again within a year. The dealer has had it for week right now and can't figure it out. They claim to have the local service manager as well as the regional service manager working on it. Whatever it is, Ford can't figure it out. Each time the probelm started it was either cold or wet - maybe coincidence. If they figure it out I'll post it.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:35   #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:

Thank you
I've had this same problem 3 times now. Each time I take it in they replace a switch/sensor on one of the doors. It started while the truck was under warranty and continued after. Luckly I have an extended warranty.
Old 01-27-2006, 17:08   #5 (permalink)

Hi, I have a 1997 Exp. I had the same problem, It is in the door switchs. When you close the doors the switch closes it contacts, which turns off the interior lights. What I did was to pull off the door panels one at a time and unplug each switch until the interior lights went off. The door panels are easy to remove. Hanyes Publishing has a book that is very thourgh on everything about the Expedition.
dschu2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 18:54   #6 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:

Thank you
FIXING THE "DOOR AJAR" MESSAGE
Submitted by Steve L and pro-five-oh / 11-07-04

If you find your Lincoln giving you this message even when you know the doors are closed, don't worry! This is a minor problem with a very simple solution.

The problem is that there is a sticky switch in the door latch mechanism. This switch is telling the computer that a door is open, even when it is not. Keep in mind that it may not be the driver's side door that is at fault, so you might want to do all 2 or 4 doors, depending on your model.

At each door you will see the latch mechanism. Just above these latches inside each door is the switches. To unstick these switches you will need 2 types of spray lubricant. Use WD-40 (or equivalent) and a can of silicon spray lubricant.

With the plastic tube attached on the WD40 you will spray inside the latch and in between the latch to get the spray to lube the switch. Flooding is preferred. Go to each door and do this. Open and close each door multiple times until the switch is free and the indicator lamp goes out and the monitor message does not appear.

Next apply the silicon lube in the same fashion. Why is this necessary? WD-40 loosens and penetrates to unstick the switch. Later it will become tacky and cause the switch to stick again. The silicon spray lube will wash away the WD-40 and replace with a silicon coating that will not cause stickiness as it dries. Be sure to get between the door latch and door metal and spray upward this is the best way with no door disassembly required.

That's it!
Old 02-21-2006, 23:24   #7 (permalink)
Michael

Had the same problem on my 2000 EB Expedition. Mine would turn on all of the interior lights and running board lights when at a stop. As soon as I was above 10MPH the lights would go off, but the Door Ajar light on the dash board would stay on. This tends to happen in the Winter time.

Silicon spray in all of the door latches did the trick. By the way, if you have problems with your rear window washer/wiper the back glass latch is at fault. It you shine a flashlight into the latch area, you'll see the switch that has a metal round head that protrudes up and rides along the catch. Using the long tip on your Silicon Spray, make sure you get in and around the metal head.

Good Luck with it...
Michael_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:28   #8 (permalink)
Unregistered

This coming form a Ford Tech: Your door switch is located inside your door mounted on the bottom of the latch. The switch is a tiny pin switch, it has a button on it and when the door is open the button is "in", and when the door is closed it is out. Most of the time, if you give your latch a good soaking with PB Blast, or WD-40 or the like, and exercise the door open and closed a few times, it will free up the button. The I recommend whenever you do an oil change, give your latches a squirt of lube and you'll likely never have the issue again.
Old 03-28-2007, 14:07   #9 (permalink)

I have 03 expedition. Same problem and had sensor replaced in door but problem again happened withon one week. Spraying WD40 into door contact areas has solved probleme ach time it reoccurs.
rubeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 13:27   #10 (permalink)

1 of 3 Dome Lights Stuck

This is an interesting one.

Situation:
89 Lincoln Town Car has 3 overhead doam lights (1 center, 2 in back sides). Back left dome light is stuck on.

Facts:
-The problematic light shuts off when ignition is off.
-Light turns on as soon as vehicle is started.
-All OTHER dome lights turn on when any door is open, and shut of when all doors are closed. Only the one light stays on.
-The light does not have a switch.
-Problem began when transporting a back seat passanger who used back left door for entry.
Blinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum