Ford Forums banner

Electrical Problems 2003 Nav

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Ok, My 2003 navigator has the current problems,

Headlights turning on and off intermitently when in automatic mode
interior lights flickering rapidly on occasion
interior lighting (nav screen etc.) dim when headlights turned on
door locks no longer work (key fob or interior switches)
mirrors are all crazy
and now today the liftgate stopped working, the remote switch and on the fob, and since the locks dont work I cant unlock it to even try opening with the handle.

When I had it at the dealership a couple months ago they got a few codes off it, mostly related to the DSM, and a couple mirror codes.

Could all these issues be indeed the DSM? Or should I look at the GEM/Fusebox/Otherterminalboardthingy thats by the GEM?

What exactly does the dsm look like, is it the box mounted right on the underside front of the drivers seat?

I pulled the accessory fusebox out and looked at all the connectors, they look fine. Is the GEM built into the back of it or is it that other box up above the fuse box (Almost behind the VSM/BSM)

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Some of them had water leaking from the windshield that would drip down on the GEM and fuse box causing poor connections. You could try unplugging the plugs from them and put som dielectric grease on the pins and see if that helps. There could be a leak in the winshield that needs to be fixed. Not sure if it pertains to your year.

#3 ·
I thought this too, especially since when the problems first started it was after heavy rain. I had my windshield replaced since all these problems so I am no longer worried about that, I just coulndt find any corrosion anywhere near the fuse box yesterday, I pulled all 10 or so connectors off of it and they look practically brand new inside.

The main annoyance to this is the power locks, they do not work at all, no sound or anything. When I activate the locks on my key fob I can hear the relay in the security brain click but nothing from the locks, and no sound at all when I press the lock/unlock buttons on either side. Of course the hatch now also is a priority but the locks are where I figure I will look first, I cant seem to find what exactly controls the locks, I havent been able to find a good schematic or anything and am still waiting on my service manuals that I ordered.

#6 ·
Well, By the looks of things the VSM going bad could cause all my problems other then the crazy mirrors (But the dsm shows codes for that, not really worried about the mirrors). Now i just gotta figureo out where I can get my hands on one while hopefully staying away from the stealership.

You woulndt happen to know the part number would you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.