Exhaust upgrade questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 19:26   #1 (permalink)

Exhaust upgrade questions

I have a 2000 expo with the 5.4 that i am looking to upgrade the exhaust on. If i were to run something that doesnt have cat's what would my ecm think about the o2 readings? I dont mind putting some high flows on but i just want to make sure the computer will adjust or do i need to get a chip for it? Thanks
donvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 18:29   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Exhaust upgrade questions

Removing the O2's would require a custom tune ($$$), as the engine computer uses the sensors to make sure the engine is operating at the proper AF ratio (approx 14.7:1). That's also providing it's legal with your local emission laws. Otherwise you might have to keep the sensors. I gather that as you mentioned you want to replace the cat, you want to do an ENTIRE exhaust change out, including headers to the tail pipe?? I'd go with Gibson, they're a reputable name. There are other options out there. To give you some ideas, put in your truck info here Performance Parts Online for Cars and Trucks - Performance Center
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 16:11   #3 (permalink)

what if i just removed the Cats and left the o2 sensors in on my new system? i dont necessarily want to switch out the entire system if its not required i just figured i would get better performance if i went front to back, do you agree? looking at the gibson's they look real nice $574 for the low end on these guys, is that normal for the expo? Guess i will have to get used to that, headers on my old chevy were $150 lol

Thanks for the comments, that site is extremely helpful as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 16:59   #4 (permalink)
canuck

You'll get better flow/performance by removing the cats and putting in a straight pipe. Do be cautious however, as there are ways around the cats and O2 sensors, but it'll set you back a lot of $. Generally a cat back will provide the best performance to dollar ratio, while keeping emissions in tact and working properly. If you remove the cat and leave the sensors, the sensors will throw a code, as the particulate matter will be the same from the first sensor, downstream to the next. The downstream sensor should read cleaner than the upstream as it tells the PCM that the cat is working properly.

Performance parts aren't nearly as cheap as they used to be! Headers can easily breech $750 for ceramic coated pieces. Once and again Edelbrock.com - Performance Carburetors, Cylinder Heads, Intake Manifolds, EFI Systems, Fuel Pumps, Crate Motors has some specials on. Magnaflow makes a high-flow cat. I heard they normally only last 1-2 years with average driving though, but they're 1/3 the cost of a stock replacement. Shop wisely!
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-27-2009, 18:31   #5 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for the info guys. what if i did a CAT back system like the one here: Gibson Exhaust
my only concern here is it says "not recommended for towing" do you guys know why this is?

Also would this pair well with programmer from superchips?
Old 05-27-2009, 19:35   #6 (permalink)
canuck

I wouldn't worry about the do-not-tow recommendation. If you add on too many performance parts, you can change the peak HP and torque specs on the engine. As the 5.4 makes peak torque as early as 2500rpm, the added performance mods might alter that to 3500rpm (as example) which won't be noticeable as you drive as the extra HP and torque the mods will provide will offset the stock low range torque. For optimum performance if you plan to add other mods, do it soon and get a custom tune done to better calibrate the computer to work as efficiently as possible.

It'll pair just fine with Superchips. After you add the mods, be sure to disconnect the neg battery cable for half hour or so. This will allow the PCM to reset itself and 'learn' the new mods faster than if you decide not to reset. If I were you, I'd add a cold air intake to take full advantage of the exhaust. Taking in more air and having the ability to push it out just as fast will fair well in the mid to high rpms. Superchips also has a 'towing performance' setting, that alters some of the parameters to give you more low end torque. Enjoy!
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-28-2009, 19:23   #7 (permalink)

Excellent advice guys i certainly appreciate it. seems like this will definitely send me in the right direction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum