Expedition Diesel Conversion?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 20:07   #1 (permalink)

Expedition Diesel Conversion??

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4l. The motor has a severe knock, but i really want to do a diesel swap, if possible. Does anyone have any information about doing this, and what motor combination would work. I am a ASE certified mechanic so the work is no problem. If anyone can give me any information i would really appriciate it. Thank you!
liftedexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 23:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Expedition Diesel Conversion??

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedexpo View Post
I have a 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4l. The motor has a severe knock, but i really want to do a diesel swap, if possible. Does anyone have any information about doing this, and what motor combination would work. I am a ASE certified mechanic so the work is no problem. If anyone can give me any information i would really appriciate it. Thank you!
don't know but I'd say it'd be the same as putting it in a 2000 ford F150... Same stayle. If you did though the Powerstroke is the best bet, however the 7.3L is going to be WAY to big. Its like a 440 Cubic inch, and I am not entirely sure on the 6.0L but I guess maybe a cummins, then you'd need a transmission to bolt up to the cummins. it'd be a lot of money involved I'd say.

FYI There is a guy that has a Ford Expedition with a diesel in it. It was that way from Ford. Its a 1998 and he special ordered it. Its very rare, but he paid a lot of cash for it. The truck has like 74k miles on it as hes an older guy. I know him, but I ain't for sure if its a Powerstroke or not, as a friend of mine has a Tahoe and its not a duramax and has a Diesel and is only a 1997....
gulizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 17:17   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Expedition Diesel Conversion??

Conversions can be done, depending how much cash you want to put into it. Obviously if you want to start, you should have the money to finish it before you decide this is what you want to do. There's a lot more besides getting the engine to fit. I'd try a 7.3L myself as it's much more reliable than a 6.0L unit. If anything, I'd try to squeeze in the 5.9L Cummins I6 for best reliability, but it is a couple inches longer than the Ford diesel V8's.

My guess is you'll have to remove some of the front frame, or extend it outwards which would mean custom body work (ie front fenders) in order for the engine to fit with enough clearance to support a properly sized radiator. Once you find a doner engine you'll need the transmission, wiring harness and PCM along with any other electronic hardware you can get your hands on.

The other thing is emissions. You will want to check with your state laws to make sure this is in fact feasible. I can't see why not as the diesel won't pollute as much as the larger gas engine under the same driving conditions. Engine mounts will be different an will require modification. Besides the transmission, you'll have to make sure the axles can handle the torque. You'll notice in the F250 and Expedition vehicles that they have larger axles just for that reason - to handle the extra torque. The front suspension will also have to be upgraded to handle the greater weight that comes with a diesel engine (Cummins will be lighter here).

Still, once its all said and done I can forecast an easy $15-20K depending on the engine combo you decide to go with and if you do the majority of the work yourself. Frankly I'd just get a 5.4L long block from Jasper Engines.

Also, don't be limited entirely by domestic diesel engines. There are several smaller (3.0L) units found in some SUVs (check salvage yards) that are just as reliable as HD diesel engines and will more than likely be easier to fit than a 7.3/6.0 or 5.9L diesel. Obviously it will probably cost a bit more, but the smaller engine shouldn't require the need to upgrade the front suspension. Lots of ideas out there!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum