Expedition Rear end noise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 15:44   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Expedition Rear end noise

New to this forum so I'm not even sure this is going to work.

My Wife has a 2001 Expedition and we have been listening to the rear end growl for several months. It is a second owner car and we have had good service from the truck for the most part. I reviewed all the post's related to the Expeditions and found some of the problems we have delt with in the past.

1. The from what I've read notorious problems with the ring and pinion.

2. Washer fluid light that say's it's empty but it's not.

3. Not all of the power outlets working

4. Coil packs for the spark plugs failing.

5. Rear wiper that works when it wants to.

But as I said it for the most part it has been a decent car/truck. What I am hoping for is some advice on what to do about the ring and pinion. I don't want to purchase more faulty Ford parts. It appears from the other posts that it has been a problem for a number of years without Ford addressing it with the correct engineering corrections. So that directs me to the aftermarket. Has anyone shopped the aftermarket for repair parts for the rear end on an Expedition and with what sucess? I'll do the work myself but don't know what vendor might have a kit to correct this problem

Looking to see if anyone has had good sucess with the aftermarket of any other advise might be offered.

Thanks!
tsemmert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 11:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Expedition Rear end noise

Tsemmert,

I had a similar problem with my 2000 Expedition. It was a rumbling sound from the rear end when I turned a corner from a stop, somewhat subtle but definitely noticable. I've noticed the same problem from several threads on this forum. The recommended fix is usually to replace the differential parts or the whole rear end. Before I did that, I just had my independent mechanic drain and replace the 80/90 gear oil in the rear end and add a 4 ounce bottle of limited slip additive (friction modifier). The problem disappeared immediately and never came back. That was 2 years ago. You can get the additive from the dealer or auto parts stores. This may or may not work in your case, but it's certainly worth trying first, before you spend a lot of money.

Vaughn
vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 19:08   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Anti-slip additive can help, but as mentioned, it's an additive and most newer gear oils come with it already blended in with their product. Yukon Gear makes some good aftermarket products. Randy's Ring & Pinion is another good source. If you have a 2wd and need more towing power, or drive a lot of highway miles and need better mileage you can get a gear set that will help with your needs. No need sticking with the stock ratio unless you really like it! Towing you can go 4.10 or 4.56. If you run 3.73 now and travel a lot of highway you can get away with a 3.55 which will lower rpms and increase mileage.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 23:52   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2000 Expedition and I was feeling from what I thought was a mis balanced wheels... I just recently heard this last week... as of Today (1/17/09) I was driving the truck and all of sudden I hear this ticking noise on the rear and got worse as I drive it... then all of sudden a load noise and then followed by like dragging metal on the ground... people on the sidewalk telling me that I was leaking oil... I immediately pulled over and investigated where the this leak is coming from... I was shock to see rear center axle where the differential is the cover is blown out... like metal sticking like someone put grenade and blew it out... I will send a picture tomorrow and I'm pretty much done with this car.... these are the list of things that happen to this car after the warranty expired...

PICTURES from blown rear differential cover http://www.jzlim.com/expedition

1. Oil leaking from the head gasket... $1800
2. Alternator $????
3. Transmission completely seize... $3500
4. Ignition coil broke... $370
5. NOW Differential blown... $!!!!!!????? (I will send pictures tomorrow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsemmert View Post
New to this forum so I'm not even sure this is going to work.

My Wife has a 2001 Expedition and we have been listening to the rear end growl for several months. It is a second owner car and we have had good service from the truck for the most part. I reviewed all the post's related to the Expeditions and found some of the problems we have delt with in the past.

1. The from what I've read notorious problems with the ring and pinion.

2. Washer fluid light that say's it's empty but it's not.

3. Not all of the power outlets working

4. Coil packs for the spark plugs failing.

5. Rear wiper that works when it wants to.

But as I said it for the most part it has been a decent car/truck. What I am hoping for is some advice on what to do about the ring and pinion. I don't want to purchase more faulty Ford parts. It appears from the other posts that it has been a problem for a number of years without Ford addressing it with the correct engineering corrections. So that directs me to the aftermarket. Has anyone shopped the aftermarket for repair parts for the rear end on an Expedition and with what sucess? I'll do the work myself but don't know what vendor might have a kit to correct this problem

Looking to see if anyone has had good sucess with the aftermarket of any other advise might be offered.

Thanks!
barako927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum