Help! 4x4 stuck - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:04   #1 (permalink)

Help! 4x4 stuck

I have a 1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4X4, 5.4 liter with the AWD, 4H, and 4L switch
My truck is stuck in 4hi and I've been searching how to get it back to awd. It seems to be an electrical issue to me. If you've had this problem or have suggestions on what to check or do, Please my wife wants her truck and I really can't afford the dealer.
Before I ever messed with the truck, it was in awd. I got stuck so I shifted (per manual directions) then 4x4 lit up so I pulled out of the mud and got on firm ground. When I tried to go back to awd the 4x4 started blinking and stayed this way, all 30 miles back home. The speedo was reading 90 mph when I was only doing about 30.
I have read Threads and have received suggestions. This is what I have tried so far.
Trying switch in neutral, with and without brake pedal depressed, also running and not running. I've tried removing 104 fuse out, then back in, I've tried disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting 15 min. later. I removed the transfer switch motor which has three plugs and a single brown wire, cleaned the little sensors inside the transfer case that are connected to switch motor and reinstalled, I have raised the front off the ground repeated all the above except the switch motor thing. I have checked all fuses inside the cab, (no power at #20) which by owners manual say it goes to audio (not radio) air suspension system (which is not on my truck) and GEM.
I 'm no electrician, not even close but to me it seems to be an electrical problem because since I have done all this the little switch near center panel doesn’t light up to tell me what selection I chose (awd) (4x4) (4low) or even when I turn on the running lights. The dash 4x4 doesn’t blink anymore or even light when I start the truck but Low range still does.
Switch seems to have no current (removed plug on switch & looked for current with 12v tester, nothing,) I picked up a switch from a jyard but no results maybe no good either. Does the transfer switch motor supply the current to the switch on panel? I picked up one of those also, but might not be any good.
Is there anyway to check switch motor or awd 4x4 4l switch? or any suggestions ? I've been told to check ABS sensors but don’t know their location. I been told to check vacuum system, And I will, but I think it's electric. I'm Lost!
today I unhooked the shift motor from the transfer case jacked up the front of the truck One inside the truck one under and the switch motor does nothing when you turn the switch but I was able to turn the rod in the transfer case
changing the truck to AWD I moved the truck out of the garage with the shift motor not attached she was turning only the back wheels
But I can not get the shift motor to turn so it can't be put back together
I don't believe I have power to the shift motor so replacing it won't solve the problem. from the rust on the outside I do believe the shift motor is bad
The other problem is ordering from Napa only has 1 wire harness
I have 2 extra like sensors attached to the shift motor
I called the Ford dealer he could not see a pic of the motor & could not tell me if it came with the sensors & wires
I'm going to order a shift motor
But how do I find out if it's getting current
Sorry for the long thread
ford4me1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 05:36   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Help! 4x4 stuck

Well to keep things simple, you might want to check the TCCM, or transfer case control module. It comes on ALL electronically equipped 4x4 vehicles. For the most part the TCCM is under the dash to the right of the drivers footwell. Your best bet is to shop around local salvage yards. If you can do basic maintenance on a vehicle, including axle fluid changes, then this won't be too hard of a project to do yourself and shouldn't take more than an hour.

Why salvage yard? Because for a new TCCM from the dealer, you'll be looking into the hundreds of dollars, and, a used one is just as reliable as there is no telling when the TCCM will go. It won't always throw an engine code either, unless there's another 4wd issue that tells the PCM that you do in fact, have a problem.

Your best bet (besides getting a second opinion on the matter as I'm no expert) is to find a low mileage vehicle in a salvage yard and pick the part up. Do not drive more than necessary in 4HI on pavement, or you'll risk damaging the gears and transfer case due to binding. Another quick test is to switch the knob to AWD, and put the transmission in reverse, to see if that'll fool the TCCM to change modes. It's not uncommon with manual 4wd vehicles to have to drive in reverse as the miles pile on to disengage 4wd lock.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:26   #3 (permalink)

Thank you
I am researching TCCM now
It is not apart of the fuse box & Gem?
I have had a 98 F150 work truck since 2001
but it has had very little go wrong with it
All these sensors & modules are difficult for me
So I am looking forwrd to the shop manual I ordered
ford4me1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:02   #4 (permalink)
canuck

No the TCCM to my knowledge is not a part of any fuse box. It's its own unit in behind the dash to the right side of the gas pedal area. Each vehicle is different and I won't guess on what it looks like in your Exp. I don't believe the TCCM integrated itself into other electrical components until recently, so at least now on NEW vehicles if there is a problem with the TCCM, it'll throw a trouble code. At least it should that is.

When you start the vehicle (check owners manual as well for dash lights) be sure to see if there's a light that says "4wd Service" or something similar. Occasionally it'll be a pictograph of some sorts so you'll have to take an educated guess at it, but make sure the light is working. If you don't have one, then it won't be worth while to get a shop to scan for trouble codes, as it most likely won't store any if the transfer case or any related 4wd hardware such as the TCCM, go south.

I know in the Durango's a TCCM swap takes a few hours to do, as it's a difficult area to work in. RockAuto Auto Parts might be able to help you find what your looking for.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 19:29   #5 (permalink)

If you needa TCCM let me know i have two used ones that work just fine.
jbrunsvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum