Help ac problems my mechanic cant seem to fix - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 01:42   #1 (permalink)

Help ac problems my mechanic cant seem to fix

I got a 2006 expidition with an ac problem. We have had this car since it was brand new and have not had any problems with it until now.

In november last year, my ac started blowing hot air, so I took it into the mechanic, I do want to note that we are stationed overseas and i took it into the post auto shop. The mechanic at that time refilled the freon on put a dye in it and told me there was a leak from the compressor and i needed a new one. I got a new one ordered, but it took me until a month ago to get it put in. Mechanic calls me after he replaces the part and tells me the part is defective as it is still leaking (they said they took it out 3 times and replaced the seals 3 times, but it kept leaking) they took pics of the leak and it is leaking from where the compressor meets the little box with the two lines. This part is held together with one screw. (Also want to note my husband is deployed and i have no clue with cars whatsoeve). so they tell me i need to get another new compressor, a new gets ordered they go to install that one and calls me and tells me it didnt work either. They are now saying it was nothing wrong with the compressor i got first and that it has to be the lines, but they are not sure. All 3 compressor, including the original one, have kicked on and worked, but the leak wont stop... Meanwhile i am out $800 in parts and labor and have not gotten any closer to a working ac. Anybody else with similar problems? or know what is going on here? Just frustrated over here.... thanks for any help you all can give.
06fexpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 07:46   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Help ac problems my mechanic cant seem to fix

There are no regular problems with the A/C in the Expedition. If there was a leak at the lines connection, the compressor shouldn't have to be replaced. There are 2 O'rings there. They may have damaged the area where the seals ride. Too bad you can't find another place to repair it.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09   #3 (permalink)

Your pipe manifold is warped or cracked where the pipes enter the manifold.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:25   #4 (permalink)

That's what I started to think, they told me only other options is to replace the lines, the two tubes with the block on it that hooks right up to the compressor.... would that work? they also said the second new compressor did not leak as bad as the first new compressor, but both compressors kicked on and worked, just leaking in the same spot each time.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:26   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Your pipe manifold is warped or cracked where the pipes enter the manifold.
Here I go no clue about cars, what is a pipe manifold?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:49   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's the 2 hoses together that connect to the compressor. That's probably what should have been replaced in the first place. If it was tightened before it was in the proper place, it can be warped tightening the bolt holding it on.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:55   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
That's the 2 hoses together that connect to the compressor. That's probably what should have been replaced in the first place.
ok so that is what they were saying they wanted to do next, i think... would this be the right part description (this copied from fordparts.com when i search manifold)

A/C Manifold and Tube Assy
With Auxiliary Air Conditioning, HD ATC Air Conditioning; Manifold And Tube Assy

and i believe you are right, dont think anything was ever wrong with any of the compressors. Waste of $800, and now i get to spend $200 more on parts plus labor...

Does the compressor have to come out to replace these tubes?

thank you so much for your replies:)
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's the proper description of it. I don't think the compressor has to come off to replace it. It ddin't up til 2001 anyway.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum