Hissing Air leak noise 2003 Expedition - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 17:26   #1 (permalink)
Frustrated EXPY owner

Hissing Air leak noise 2003 Expedition

I need help. Recently within the past 2 weeks. There is a sound that can only be described as a vacuum leak, hiss, air noise coming from the Driver's side compartment in my 2003 5.4L Eddie Bauer Expedition. The sound goes away when the brake peddle is pressed. I don't know if the brake has an air line or something running through the compartment or what. The sound is VERY annoying, but has not effected the performance of the vehicle.

This sound is present for a few minutes even after the car is turned off. But not before starting the truck from cold. But it starts up as soon as the ignition turns on.

Any help is appreciated
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 19:15   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Hissing Air leak noise 2003 Expedition

Sounds like the power brake booster or the line going to it.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:40   #3 (permalink)
Frustrated EXPY owner

Is this a job I can do over the weekend myself? I have not been able to locate a CHILTON or HAYES manual for this vehicle. So, I don't know where to start.
Old 10-24-2006, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath
Is this a job I can do over the weekend myself? I have not been able to locate a CHILTON or HAYES manual for this vehicle. So, I don't know where to start.
I'm just pointing you in a direction to look, doesn't mean I am right. You need to verify if that is it. It is a relatively simple job but I don't know what your abilities are. It sounds like they are very limited, since you don't know where to start. That being the case, you shouldn't attempt without a manual, or at least a buddy to help.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:53   #5 (permalink)
Frustrated EXPY owner

confused Re: Hissing Air leak noise 2003 Expedition

Ok I still have not had time to fix this and have learned to live with it, but it's annoying. I have not taken it to the dealership to get an estimate. I did have a chance to get up under the dash today and determined that the noise is coming from a grey cylinder looking thing that wraps around the brake as it goes through the firewall. Does anyone know what that part is? It has ridges on it like a giant straw. If I push on it, the hissing stops completely.
Old 09-02-2008, 14:36   #6 (permalink)

Just replaced my brake booster this weekend. I removed the clip on the inside, the four screws on the inside, the two screws holding the master cylinder on, the two screws holding the radiator reservoir on and the two screws holding the gadget above the master cylinder with the hoses. . I had air tools and it took me about an hour. If unskilled, pay to have it done. The part is about $100 and it will cause your check engine light to go on.
turboyugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:57   #7 (permalink)

Guys
I have this same problem with my wife's truck. Crawled under the dash and found it is coming from the rubber accordion looking boot around the break linkage at the firewall. slid the boot up and there is another rubber boot that the leak is coming through. I pressed with my finger around the perimeter of the inner boot and found the spot of the leak.
Now, is the boot the problem or is it likely deeper than that?
Steve
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:28   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That means the booster has an internal seal problem and needs to be replaced.

Welcome to the forums Steve.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50   #9 (permalink)

that's kind of what I suspected but I'm no expert on Fords.
Thanks Bert,
Steve
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:47   #10 (permalink)

Is a bad booster something that could easily cause the brakes to fail. I have the same problem going on but need to drive a couple hours there and back and hopefully they wont just go out. Any help would be appreciated.
Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum