How to diag a faulty coil pack - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28   #1 (permalink)

Question How to diag a faulty coil pack

My check engine light came on and i had the codes checked and they told me an ignition pack was bad... the question is how do i find out which one it is? Is there a method i can check on my own or do i have to have someone do it?
eswear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: How to diag a faulty coil pack

What code is it? Autozone will check for free and tell you. Then you can swtch it with another one and see if the misfire moves with it.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:52   #3 (permalink)

thanks bert!!!! i will have to wait til im off work to get the exact code its throwing
Old 10-12-2010, 22:26   #4 (permalink)

So I went to Autozone and they told me what code it was and which ignition pack needed to be replaced, of course it was the pack on #4 so I had a lovely time changing it lol. It runs great now.... thanks bert for your suggestion. Now if I can figure out why my lights strobe I will be all set
Old 10-13-2010, 08:21   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad to hear that it's fixed. Thanks for the update.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10   #6 (permalink)

well bad news it starting doing it again this morning.... the code they pulled yesterday was p0354... im going back today to see if its the same code or if its a different pack all together... i remember having to have like 5 of them replaced a couple years ago all around the same time. i guess i have bad luck with multiple packs failing at once lol
Old 10-13-2010, 10:05   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There's a TSB on that. It's more than likely your trucks problem. It covers 2003 also.
This publication contains material that is reproduced and distributed under a license from Ford Motor Company. No further reproduction or distribution of the Ford Motor Company material is allowed without the express written permission of Ford Motor Company.

TSB
04-21-10 MIL ON WITH DTC P0354

Publication Date: October 13, 2004

FORD: 2004 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2004 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.4L 3-Valve engine may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0354 (Cylinder Number 4 Primary/Secondary Coil Fault). This condition may be due to the A/C line coming in contact with the number 4 coil wire takeout from main harness loom.

ACTION:
Reroute main harness loom by relocating the two (2) harness retainers on the right hand side of the engine. Inspect both wires of coil takeout number 4 for damage, and for pullout damage of wires at the wire harness connector to coil number 4.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Disconnect battery.
Disconnect and remove the PCM Bracket.
Inspect the wiring harness (12B637) loom at the right hand corner of the engine to determine if there is contact with the A/C line (Figure 1).

NOTE: IF HARNESS IS DAMAGED REFER TO TSB 03-11-06 FOR PROPER REPAIR PROCEDURES.

If contact is present, loosen the harness from the front and rear cam cover studs.
Remove the plastic rear stud retainer from the bottom of the wiring harness. Relocate this retainer approximately 3/4" (20 mm) rearward and fasten it to the TOP of the harness (Figure 2).

Remove the front stud retainer from the harness and reposition the harness as needed to remove any slack that may be present.
Reinstall the retainers on the cam cover studs.
Tape down coil number 4 take out.
Verify there is no contact between the A/C line and the wiring harness (Figure 3).

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
042110A Check For Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Inspect, And Relocate Wire Harness (For Any Wire Repairs Refer To TSB 03-11-06 Use Actual Time In Accordance With The Warranty And Policy Manual Guidelines) 0.7 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
12B637 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company
Old 10-13-2010, 11:32   #8 (permalink)

thanks bert! when i get home i will take a look at it and if it feels like too much for me to do then i will take it somewhere to do it... it doesn't sound too hard though
Old 10-13-2010, 11:58   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Here's the full TSB with pictures. 04-21-10***MIL ON WITH DTC P0354
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23   #10 (permalink)

That doesn't look bad at all, I will look at it when i get home today. Once again Bert thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum