IR Headphone Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 16:16   #1 (permalink)

IR Headphone Problem

2005 Expedition with rear DVD entertainment system. I just bought this truck. It had no headphones with it, but the dealer found a set of 2 channel ones and gave them to us. They didn't work, I assumed because the truck only has a single channel system. I bought a new single channel system from EBay and they don't work either. I just get static. When I cover the IR sensors the headphones go silent so they are receiving something.

I have replaced the head unit with Kenwood 6019, but I bought the adapter for the rear DVD player. When a DVD is playing the sound comes through the speakers fine. Just nothing on the head phones.

The head phones I just bought are Ford, but not sure they are the specific ones for my truck. From my reading they should be universal across the Ford line.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

PCBeach
2002 EB Expedition
2005 EB Expedition
PCBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 16:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: IR Headphone Problem

First to see if the headphone are working take your camera or video camera and focus it at the DVD IR unit. If you see the IR on/flashing then the DVD is transfering a signal. If not then the DVD is not sending anything out.
I also read on previous threads that the unit on Ford is a loop system. That means that the sound from the DVD is sent to the head unit and then back to the IR signal.
check out the thread from 'oneloveofboard' on "Roof mounted DVD" he had the same problem and was able to reloop the system and everything works has normal.
best of luck.
dtd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 19:34   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the link. I just PMed you hoping you can help with the wire colors in an Expedition.

I had a guess that this was the problem.
Old 04-25-2009, 16:58   #4 (permalink)

It will depend on how you wanted...the easy way would be a preassumble rear head rest system...just replace the old one and pop in the new, run you wire as directed from the manual. Overhead is a little more work, you will need to remove the headliner if you want to do a OEM look.
Old 05-09-2009, 16:19   #5 (permalink)

Thanks to DTD07s help my headphones are now working. Hooking up the loopback is the trick. I dropped the DVD from the headliner and made the connections there. Plenty of room.

Thanks again DTD07 for all your help.
Old 02-24-2010, 16:01   #6 (permalink)

Just curious if you might be able to give me a suggestion...I have an 04 expedition and one of the head sets for the DVD player has gone bad and I don't know where to get another one. My local dealer is no help.
shpnnanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:13   #7 (permalink)

PCBeach can you please tell me wich wires you connected? I have the same problem with my IR headphones. Thanks
jpchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 15:02   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchain View Post
PCBeach can you please tell me wich wires you connected? I have the same problem with my IR headphones. Thanks
try this, its from another member posted

HEADPHONE IN loop to SPEAKER FEED OUT
LEFT + red ....loop to.... LEFT + white
LEFT - white ....loop to.... LEFT - light green
RIGHT + orange ....loop to.... RIGHT + red
RIGHT - pink ....loop to.... RIGHT - black
Old 04-29-2010, 14:06   #9 (permalink)

hi, could you be more specific, what does LEFT - white ....loop to.... LEFT - light green
mean? thanks
jpchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:10   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchain View Post
hi, could you be more specific, what does LEFT - white ....loop to.... LEFT - light green
mean? thanks
Take down the DVD player look for the main connector.
looping is just reconnecting those colors wires together.
What is happening is that the audio is sent down to the rear control then signal is sent back up to the IR headphone.
So all you are doing is making a shorter loop. (make sense at all??)
You want the signal to from one corrsponding color wire to another.
Don't cut the wire just make a jump (short the wire), use a shore wire and make the loop from the connector. Make the loop from where the wire comes out of the connector (back end if you will).
sample picture: attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connector.jpg (11.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg loop.jpg (14.3 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum