K&N Worth the Cost? (Specifically the Air Charger) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 18:52   #1 (permalink)

K&N Worth the Cost? (Specifically the Air Charger)

Anyone have any real world experience or comments on these?

63-2575 - K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kits, Performance Intake Kit
clearnetedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 12:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: K&N Worth the Cost? (Specifically the Air Charger)

Worth the cost from what standpoint? More power of better MPG? If installed properly a cold air intake can get you more power. But nothing is free--i.e. you'll pay for it with MPG. Also, you have to be incredibly careful when washing and re-oiling these filters. If you over-oil, the mist can damage the MAF sensor. Several large manufacturers have issued TSB's informing dealers to deny warranty coverage for MAF's if the owner uses an oiled filter.
Old 01-05-2009, 15:22   #3 (permalink)

hi i have a k&n air filter and its totaly worth the cost and the refill kit only costs around 15 dollar
bbah111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:50   #4 (permalink)
Thing 1

If you will own the car a long time- it will save you money and will be good for the environment since you can reuse it.

HP gains- not likely on a stock car. Studies have shown HP increase from a K&N only after better headers were installed.

Be very careful of installing any filter that changes where the air is pulled from. Any filter assembly that is allowed to pull hot air from the radiator or engine compartment will loose horsepower due to the increased air temperature. Hince the name- cold air intake. It must actually pull cold air from outside the car. If you are replacing the entire air intake system with a well designed Cold Air Intake- then yes- you will most likely see some increases in Horsepower with some as high as 15hp.
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 15:35   #5 (permalink)
DanielGuam

I was going to get a K&N untill I read this. You deciede!
Banks Power | Air Density Testing
danielguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:37   #6 (permalink)

I run the AEM Brute force system. It was cheaper than K&N and it has a dry filter. I did not notice significant fuel or power increases, but I do run 200-300 less rpm at 75 on the highway. It does come with a big chrome tube, not a plastic thing like you would be removing.
nhegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:31   #7 (permalink)
Thing 1

Believe it or not- plastic is better for more horsepower. It doesn't have nearly the heatsoak as metal counterparts and it is lighter. This is why manufactures use it and why you will find plastic style valve covers and intakes on some performance cars and race engines. The cooler the air going into your engine- the more horsepower. I know- it is not as pretty as aluminum or chrome.

As for RPM decrease- I am not sure how a filter assembly can change the required RPM to maintain a certain speed? I always thought you could only affect this with gear ratio/trans swaps/tire sizes/torque convertors. Please elaborate.
Old 03-02-2009, 20:00   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanGT View Post
Believe it or not- plastic is better for more horsepower. It doesn't have nearly the heatsoak as metal counterparts and it is lighter. This is why manufactures use it and why you will find plastic style valve covers and intakes on some performance cars and race engines. The cooler the air going into your engine- the more horsepower. I know- it is not as pretty as aluminum or chrome.

As for RPM decrease- I am not sure how a filter assembly can change the required RPM to maintain a certain speed? I always thought you could only affect this with gear ratio/trans swaps/tire sizes/torque convertors. Please elaborate.
Not sure how it happened. I suppose since it breathes easier it doesn't have to work so hard. I did make note of rpms before and after intake and throttle body install and it took less to run the same speed.
Edge Evolution Programmer
Magnaflow dual exhaust
E-Z ride airbags
Old 03-06-2009, 20:10   #9 (permalink)
Thing 1

Hmm- maybe your vehicle was staying out of overdrive at 75mph.

To avoid any potential of misleading someone who reads this thread, if you apply mechanical theory and if your entire drivetrain stayed the same- your engine will still need to turn the same # of revolutions per mile when maintaining the same speed in the same gear. That is a given even if it makes 300 more horsepower.

The only factor that can change is how quick you get there- and you know we all like that the best!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:57   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanGT View Post
Hmm- maybe your vehicle was staying out of overdrive at 75mph.

To avoid any potential of misleading someone who reads this thread, if you apply mechanical theory and if your entire drivetrain stayed the same- your engine will still need to turn the same # of revolutions per mile when maintaining the same speed in the same gear. That is a given even if it makes 300 more horsepower.

The only factor that can change is how quick you get there- and you know we all like that the best!

Vehicle was in overdrive. I understand your mechanical theory, but would only apply that to a manual transmission. Too many variables involved with the fluid in automatic transmission.
Edge Evolution Programmer
Magnaflow dual exhaust
E-Z ride airbags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum