key cut depth at each key station - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 17:15   #1 (permalink)

key cut depth at each key station

I have to replace my key lock b/c it was attempted to be broken into ... my key will not go in the lock. I have purchased the Pack F85Z-1521990-BB to replace the lock. I need to be able to get the OEM key code (key cut depth at each key station). Where can I find this so I can use the same key. Thanks, Brian
BP827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 06:00   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: key cut depth at each key station

A locksmith can re-key your new lock to your existing key. find a locksmith with a walk in shop or you will have to pay a service call.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 16:50   #3 (permalink)

I appreciate the note on going to a locksmith but ... I want to cut costs and do it on my own ... just need to find out the OEM code information (key cut depth at each key station. Thanks, Brian
BP827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 17:45   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

I'm guessing the lock you have is uncoded and needs the wafers put in it. The dealer can at least give you the key code and a locksmith might give you the bitting. If you have an uncoded lock, you don't really need that info as you can go by sight when you put the wafers in. You don't state what year, so I don't know if it is an 8 cut or 10 cut key, but the lock probably will not use all the cuts. For example, a 10 cut key will only use the last 6 spaces in the ign. cylinder. (The door will use the first 6)
Old 03-22-2009, 17:48   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

By the way, if you take the lock to a locksmith, they will probably only charge 5-15 bucks to set it up for you, so it may be worth the $$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum