leather problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
FishDoc

leather problems

I am brand new to this forum and have a new 2005 Expedition with 4000 miles. It is a King Ranch edition. My question concerns the King Ranch leather seats. The leather isn't wearing well. It seems to stain easily with what I don't know. Some is from rain drops when entering and exiting. Other spots?? Also it seems to mark and scratch easily. Lightly scraping the surface with a cardboard box, my finger nails, or whatever seems to scrape off the surface. Using Meguiar's Leather Conditioner or Perma Plate doesn't seem to make much difference except to slightly darken the scrape mark.

Otherwise, so far, I think I am going to really enjoy this vehicle and my wife really like it. And I will appreciate any help with the leather. Maybe I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks

FishDoc
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 09:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: leather problems

I got leather in my expidtion too. Beleive it or not, but I've been using Armor Oil Leather Conditioner. It cleans up the seats really well, and very easily.

I try to clean up the seats twice a month to help maintaine the seats.
ktf71094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:29   #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

You have UNTREATED leather seats - presumably someone told you this before you got the car. They mark and stain much easier than a normal car seat, but are also much softer and more comfortable. I believe they are actually saddle leather.

Your seats are more like a new leather jacket - if you get them wet, they will spot. If you get body oils on them, they will darken in those areas.

You could try and treat the seats with a leather protectant, but honestly, I wouldn't. That stuff will rub off on everything you wear in the car.

Much like a saddle, the seats will wear in over time, and will start to darken with age and use - enjoy them, they are breaking in as a good leather should, and will only become more comfortable with age.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdoc
I am brand new to this forum and have a new 2005 Expedition with 4000 miles. It is a King Ranch edition. My question concerns the King Ranch leather seats. The leather isn't wearing well. It seems to stain easily with what I don't know. Some is from rain drops when entering and exiting. Other spots?? Also it seems to mark and scratch easily. Lightly scraping the surface with a cardboard box, my finger nails, or whatever seems to scrape off the surface. Using Meguiar's Leather Conditioner or Perma Plate doesn't seem to make much difference except to slightly darken the scrape mark.

Otherwise, so far, I think I am going to really enjoy this vehicle and my wife really like it. And I will appreciate any help with the leather. Maybe I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks

FishDoc
Old 02-08-2006, 12:31   #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

If you use these products on a King Ranch seat you will irreversibly darken the color of the leather - if you are ok with this, then go for it, but be aware ahead of time!

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf71094
I got leather in my expidtion too. Beleive it or not, but I've been using Armor Oil Leather Conditioner. It cleans up the seats really well, and very easily.

I try to clean up the seats twice a month to help maintaine the seats.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:19   #5 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: leather problems

OK guys. Here's the scoop on that upholstery problem! The upholstery material is defective! There is a "silent recall" on that leather. We learned this quite by chance. We took our car to an upholsterer for his opinion, and he told us we needed to go back to the dealer and remind them of this recall. Sure enough, the dealer had a whole poster delineating the problem. We were over the 36,000 mile point, so ended up paying a $100 deductible, and they took care of the rest. As it turns out, our upholstery guy had seen the problem many times, and had been fixing seats for the dealer. So go back to Ford, and demand satisfaction! "Silent recall"??? H-m-m-m-m. Wonder why?
timg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum