Lincoln and Ford known for tranny problems? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 19:57   #1 (permalink)

Lincoln and Ford known for tranny problems?

I have a 03 navigator and my transmission just went out. When i bought this car in 07, the tranny went out 3 weeks later. Got it re-built, and its out again this week. Only lasted about 5-6 years. I know other people with Fords and other american models and they say they had their share of tranny problems. Are Ford and Lincoln known for tranny problems?

**Can someone remove the other threads, sorry the internet went down and thought it did not go through
msrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 22:03   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Lincoln and Ford known for tranny problems?

Transmission issues aren't the norm for the Nav from what I've read, how many miles did you put on it? Any towing?
Old 02-11-2013, 15:24   #3 (permalink)

Bought it at 70k in 07 and it went out. re-built it. its 125k now and its out again. no towing, just normal driving
msrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 19:26   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Any signs of fluid leaks? 50k miles is just about when you should start thinking about a fluid change. Are you sure the tranny is shot? Low fluid and fouled filter can make it seem like it's gone. If left unchecked, they can make your tranny go south as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 19:17   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Damn.

There is no such thing in this day and age as "normal" driving. Anyway, as CatSkinner mentioned, fluid changes are a must every 50K, if not earlier. I give my Durango a fluid change every 30K as I tow with it. It has 142K miles on it and working great.

One thing the dealer doesn't tell owners is in the owners manual, it shows two separate service schedules. One for "normal service", and the other for "severe service". It's always good practice to follow the severe service schedule. Highway driving isn't what it used to be with increased traffic and lack of proper infrastructure.

Also, some shops rebuild transmissions a lot better than others. I never take my vehicle to the lowest quoter unless I know the person doing the work.

It's best to check the transmission fluid regularly, as mentioned. At least once a month if not sooner depending on the miles you put on the vehicle. If the fluid looks dark, or smells burnt get it changed. If the fluid is black and smells horrid, that generally means a new transmission is in order. If clutches/bands aren't installed properly, or facing the correct way it can severely impact transmission life. Most rebuilds also come with a mileage/time warranty.

With large, heavier vehicles/SUVs it's best to lock out overdrive while in the city. This will allow better transmission fluid cooling, and stop any constant shifting in/out of overdrive which increases heat and wear. I highly doubt you'll notice a difference at the pump. I generally turn on overdrive over 45mph, and under that I keep it locked off on my Durango.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum