Ford Forums banner

Lincoln Navigator 99 5.4l in Iceland. Need help!

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hi there
I'm from Iceland and I have a couple of questions for you Lincoln experts.

I have a Lincoln Navigator 1999 5.4L Intech 32v engine.
Owned it for 4 years now. But I have driven it for maybe 2 years, because the engine started knocking. So I stopped the car for 1 year and then I had mechanic look at the engine. He opened the engine from the oil pan. And I was told the rod bearing was broken and the crankshaft had small scratches/cracks in it.

We took a change and only replaced the rod bearings with new ones, because it's kinda expensive to change out the old crankshaft . Then closed up the engine started it up and I ran great for only 2 weeks! And the knocking started again so I stopped the car for couple weeks and started it up again and now the engine only turns 1/3!

So the question is, what should be the next step

1.There is no 5.4 intech 32v replacement engine that I can find here in my country Iceland. So that's off

2. It's really expensive to let mechanic fix it 3000-4000 dollars

3. If I want to open the engine up. Do I have to take the body of the chassis or is there another way? Because I don't have I lift.

4. Where is the best place to order replacement parts online like crankshafts and other engine parts.

5. Can I engine swap a 5.4l Triton engine or other engines ? Is it a lot of work? Has anyone put a diesel engine in a Navigator ?

What would be the best way to go from here? :smile2:
I need ideas! :huh:

See less See more
#2 ·
You really need to hire or buy a heavy duty engine lifting crane to remove the engine for repair or replacement and you will probably have to remove the hood (bonnet) front bumper and grill to lift it up through the front. Some info here http://www.fordforums.com/f60/removing-navigator-engine-lifting-intake-manifold-174911/ but I suggest you also buy a workshop manual.

This similar job on a F150 will give you an idea of what will be involved: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1009351-cab-on-engine-removal-and-head-gaskets.html You'll also need a heavy duty engine stand.

Given the costs of importing heavy parts, the best option is likely getting a machine shop (places that do head shaving and rebores etc.) to polish the crankshaft and fit oversize bearings. It likely might also be worth delivering the short block (engine out heads off) to an engine machine shop to get the bearings, crankshaft pistons and rods fixed or replaced. You should save a lot by removing and stripping down the engine to the short block stage yourself and if you are not confident about your mechanical skills and/or don't have the required measuring tools to check and fit the bearings and other components this may be your best and cheapest option. You will still need to buy a full gasket set and a torque wrench or two. I would just search ebay USA for suppliers that do international shipping for the gasket set, bearings or other parts required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.