Ford Forums banner

Loud Knocing noise under hood

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Can someone please help!!!!! For the past few months I started hearing a loud knocking noise coming from the engine, at first I thought it was the valves not getting enough oil or maybe too liitle or dirty oil in truck. After a a few weeks its gotten louder. I recently changed the oil but the noise is still there. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Could it have had dirty oil or too little oil for so long that i created a bigger problem?

#4 ·
If the vehicle has been sitting for a while, it's best to put in a few gallons of higher octane fuel. If the spark plugs and wires haven't been changed in the last two years or 30K it's something to look into as well. If that doesn't get rid of the knock then take the vehicle in for a compression test to make sure all cylinders are in good order.

Also; once in a blue moon an oil filter will be faulty and the drain back valve won't function as designed giving a drier start than normal which allows the engine to have more metal on metal contact as oil takes longer to reach the top end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.