Missfiring on cylinder 4, 7 and cylinder 1 is reading to lean!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 21:59   #1 (permalink)

Smile Missfiring on cylinder 4, 7 and cylinder 1 is reading to lean!!

I just bought this awesome expidtion an hour agoo for just 1000 bucks 'LUCKY me" knowing it had some issues in the engine. I have a scanner and came out with 3 codes which I will be posting later. But it showed my that cylinder 4, 7 r missfiring n cylinder 1 is to lean. The car also needs a new catalitic converter since I believe it has a hole in it. After a couple of research it seems 2 me that the catalitic converted may b the possible problem for this codes. N if not I will hav 2 begging by swapping coil until I find the problem. But first I will like 2 ask anyone if anybody has a link 2 a web site that has the repair manual for the expedition. I will truly appreciated ur help. Thank 4 the help every1 n I will post more info as I beggin repairing it!!!

rpmhigh
rpmhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 20:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: Missfiring on cylinder 4, 7 and cylinder 1 is reading to lean!!

First off the cat converter is never the CAUSE of a problem. It fails because of a problem upstream. When an engine misfires, all the unburned fuel goes into the cat. The cat is designed to handle a certain amount of unburned fuel. But when it is too much, the reaction really heats up -- to over 2,500 degrees. That melts the metals in the cat. These coils are known for misfire failures. I know techs that have had to replace 4 or 5 coils on a single vehicle to get it running right. First eliminate the misfires. Then take on the cat. Not the reverse.

As for the manual, be a sport and drop $10 on a 1-week subscription to www.eautorepair.com
It's the only way to get reliable information. Or, if you want another online source, try ALLDATA - OEM Automotive Repair Information and Technical Service Bulletins.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum