Ford Forums banner

Mystery Splutter - No codes 2000 Expedition

880 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hello :)
I have a ford expedition 2000 wagon - 4 doors.
We started noticing that when driving in the city surface streets, the car would start spluttering as we went from stationary to accelerating. The issue gradually worsened over the next two days where the car wanted to cut out. When we tried to add gas (accelerate) it seemed like the fuel was not reaching the engine causing the car to splutter and backfire, we switched the car off and waited. We restarted and all appeared fine for a while.

We took the car to the garage and the mechanics could not find anything wrong, they ran it threw a computer diagnostics but nothing came back "We cant find anything wrong". Later that day, the car started doing the same thing but this time the engine cut out and now stranded in the middle of nowhere. We got the car towed. Triple A said "It's spark plugs". We brought the car to a different garage and they too ran a computer diagnostics and came up with nothing. They took 3 days and charged us $95 to tell us there is nothing wrong with the car and on a side note, they disconnected our ABS without permission "It was draining your battery, will cost you over $1k to fix, but this is nothing to do with your other problem".

Back to the splutter and dying engine.
There is no pattern to when this issue occurs as in how long or short we have been driving. We went on a freeway, briefly but the car was fine. The only thing that has changed is the weather. The day the car gave up was a day when the temperature got to 98 degrees.

I quite like the old cars without computers, when you have to rely on eyeballs and ears to know whats going on with a car. My gut says, change fuel pump or fuel pump filter or fuel pump line. Is it possible we got dirty gas? I am not a mechanic but I do love a good mystery. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks JHertl:driver:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.