Navigator Transmission Thumping? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 20:18   #1 (permalink)

Navigator Transmission Thumping?

I have a 99 Navigator and have been recently noticing a fairly heavy thumping that feels like it's coming from the transmission. It only does it when going uphill in 4th gear (I believe) at lower RPMs (noticed it this morning around 1500-2500 rpms). It is a heavy enough thumping/bumbing feeling that passengers would notice and it's get your attention. The only way to pass it when it does this is to accelerate heavy and push through it.

Something is not right about this thumping and I need some help figuring out what's what. I do not have any check/service engine lights on and have not had any issues mechanically. The Navigator has 188k on it and the transmission has been serviced in the last 20k miles.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be and where to start looking? Many thanks in advance!!
athenshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 12:46   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Navigator Transmission Thumping?

Without hearing it, it would be hard to diagnose. It still could have a code even without the light. Autozone will check for free.
Old 03-05-2013, 13:00   #3 (permalink)

I did take it to AZ this morning for a scan and no codes came up. What's the best way to check for cylinder misfiring? Could this be a possible solution to the problem?
Old 03-05-2013, 16:06   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

A misfire would throw a code. A u-joint or CV joint could give you such a diagnostic. If the sound grows to a grinding, check bearings and brake disks.
Old 03-05-2013, 17:05   #5 (permalink)

I know the front bearings are bad, but that's not sound/ feeling this is causing. This bumping, which is more feeling than sound, specifically only happens in 4th gear at low rpm on a slight incline. The only way to pass through it is to give it hell on the accelerator. It's not a constant bumping over and over, but a few hard enough bumps to startle you.

Would worn out plugs cause something like this? It's coming near time to replace them, but I just feel this is something else.
Old 03-05-2013, 17:24   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

It doesn't sound like an engine problem to me, but a rotating portion of the drive train. Anything dealing with the ignition of the engine should throw a code. Can't rule out the transmission or rear end. Without actually hearing it, it a tough call.
Old 03-05-2013, 17:34   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Does it fele like it's misfiring? Sometimes it takes awhile to set a code. When was it tuned last? Could even be a coil pack.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22   #8 (permalink)

Probably nearing 100k miles since tuneup. I got the car with 120 on it and have not tuned it myself yet (Ive put 60k on it). It doesn't feel like anything is misfiring and if the light was going to pop on, it would have had plenty of time by now.
Old 03-08-2013, 15:24   #9 (permalink)

What could I be listening for with this and what would the sounds mean? It's mentioned that you couldnt tell what this is without hearing it, so I was wondering if there's a certain sounds I could be listening for and telling the differences between the sounds. I was going to try and record it on my phone and post it, but the sound doesn't sound out very well
Old 03-08-2013, 15:41   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Have you looked at the motor and trans mounts?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum