Need to know the correct front differential for a 2001 AWD Eddie Bauer Ford Expediton - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59   #1 (permalink)

Need to know the correct front differential for a 2001 AWD Eddie Bauer Ford Expediton

Has a Triton 5.4 V8

Ok Ill try to sum up my situation, and what Ive done the best I can.
Bought it from a dealer "as is". When I checked it out it ran great, rhode great. I made one critical mistake. Before I bought it I didnt realize there was no front drive shaft. I didnt look for it cuz I just assumed it would be there. So I purchased one and installed it. After I installed it I get whining sound from the front end when I make turns both ways. Seems to be fine straight away at all speeds. So I took a mechanic for a ride in it and he told me it was the front differential. So I got a junkyard front differential and swapped them out. It still does the same thing with the new used differential. So.. Im thinking this....

1.)Maybe I have the wrong differential? The ford dealership told me that it calls for a 3.55 non vacume shift. I think I confirmed the non vacum part because I have no vacum soinoids, or evidence of them ever being there before next to the battery box. It hasn't sat right with me because the clowns I bought it from I have no idea what they did. I know they replaced the rear drive shaft (still has chalk numbers from the junkyard.) Im thinking they put the front drive shaft in, heard the noise, pulled it back out, and sold it anyways. I cant be sure if they swapped differentials, and if maybe they put the wrong one back in.

2.) maybe I have the correct front differential from the junkyard, but Ive heard that junkyard parts are'nt always reliable. So maybe I got a faulty one. If thats the case I might send it out and have it rebuilt that way I know it will be fine.

3.) From looking on this forum I learned it could be 2 bad front wheel bearings creating drag when i make turns. I havent checked this yet.

But before I pursue this any further Id like to at least confirm which front differential I need. For the time being I removed the front drive shaft again and the thing runs perfectly as a 2WD Ford Expedition:)

Thanks for taking the time to read all that and appreciate any suggestions
takenoprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 19:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need to know the correct front differential for a 2001 AWD Eddie Bauer Ford Exped

Ok 138 views so far and not a single response...... maybe I gave too much info.

If someone has a 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition AWD with a 5.4 liter, could u please write down all the serial numbers on the metal tag on the back of the front differential and put it in a post in this message?

thanks
takenoprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 20:54   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Need to know the correct front differential for a 2001 AWD Eddie Bauer Ford Exped

You didn't give too much information in the original post. better than not enough. What is the code for the axle on the door plate? Here's what should be in there per code.
19 — 3.55 non-limited slip, Expedition
17 — 3.31 non-limited slip, Expedition
H9 — 3.55 limited slip, Expedition
H7 — 3.31 limited slip, Expedition
H6 — 3.73 limited slip, Expedition/Navigator
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum