Re: New Expy owner, problems during accelleration
Sounds like the previous owner had a lead foot. The shift patterns adjust to your driving style. To reset the learning, just disconnect your battery for 15 minutes or so, or you can remove the fuse for the computer (PCM - Powertrain control module). On my 2001, it is fuse #2 - 5A. Leave it unplugged for a while to ensure a reset - 15 minutes or so.
After you put it back together, all learning patterns will be lost. This includes idle fuel trim and shift patterns. See your owners manual if you have it - the procedure should be listed under battery maintenance. To retrain the idle fuel trim: (from my 2001 owner's guide)
1.Complete stop, set parking brake
2. Truck in park, all accessories off, start engine
3. Allow engine to run until reaches normal operating temperature
4. Allow to idle in park for at least 1 minute
5.Turn A/C on, allow it to idle for at least 1 minute
6. Whith foot on the brake pedal and with A/C on, put the truck in Drive (D) and allow it to idle for at least 1 minute.
7. Drive the truck as YOU normally would for several complete shift patterns, to allow it to relearn the shift patterns.
It should be better after that.