New here. 01 Navigator suspension - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 09:27   #1 (permalink)

New here. 01 Navigator suspension

I have an 01 Navigator 4x4 with full air ride. Like many here I assume the air ride has been nothing short of a nightmare. Ive replaced everything and some things more than once. Now I have another leaky rear bag so I am trying to decide what way to go. I like the air ride when it is working but dont like being stranded from time to time over it lol. I like the ride height when its in 4x4 and enjoy some light trail driving. Here come the questions:

How capable for off road use (when in perfect order) is the suspension on these trucks?

If I decided to go with a bag to coil spring conversion, who makes a good reliable one? Is there a way to lift it a couple inches like the ride height in 4WD?

Anyone have first hand experience with any conversion kits and or lift kits?

Thanks in advance.
catharsis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: New here. 01 Navigator suspension

Most spring conversion kits will lift the vehicle to stock height; or if you were to run the vehicle to build up air pressure and have the bags up, that's how it'll look. The only downside to springs is you'll feel the ride difference. There's no comparison for air, but for me, air suspension is best left on heavy duty trucks. I prefer air ride, but for my personal vehicles, springs and shocks are best. To best maintain an air ride system it should constantly be under pressure as often as possible, which for passenger vehicles that get parked for a few days at a time here and there, isn't a good thing. A slow leak will also drain the system fully of air allowing the bags to compress to the point where they can crack, even more so if your current suspension is fatigued in any way, as it'll add to the stress that the empty bags have to endure.

Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts l 800-230-3030 is a good source for spring conversions and upgrades. I've used and installed helper springs when towing an old RV of mine, it had a tongue weight of 890lbs loaded, which put my Durango on the edge of it's usable payload with the family and gear in there.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 22:17   #3 (permalink)

My shocks were bad causing my navigator to bounce badly. One night I noticed the lights dimming out. Charging system was good...finally figured out the compressor was trying to kick on, but couldnt. The next day the compressor was done with. I decided to go ahead and get the conversion kit from strutmasters.com which included the front struts, rear springs, and rear shocks. For the kit and shipping it was $660. I live in NC where they shipped it from and had it in 2 bussiness days. Had them installed for $180 and I am very happy. Next I need to replace the ball joints and get new tires and alignment. Excited to see how well it rides with all this. I hate you fixed all the air ride, but as the last guy said: air belongs on trucks. I am a diesel mechanic and would have to say it is a very simple system. The lincoln system is over complicated therefore allowing many problems to occur. Go for the swap in my opinion. Im all about reliability.
JackAysJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 17:35   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Good to know!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 22:47   #5 (permalink)

Well I understand how some people want the low and sleek look, but I would prefer the stock look. Ill post a link to a picture of mine. I would say that it is right at the same height it was before in my case. Im thinking maybe some lowering springs would have been the better package for louie. I really dont know, I havent researched them. I was curious, so I sent him an email for pictures.
JackAysJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum