New to Navigators, just want some advice. thanks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 14:05   #1 (permalink)

New to Navigators, just want some advice. thanks

I just got a 04 navigator 4x4 95k miles. i have been a chevy guy for the past 3 vehicles. i do all my own service, so i have some questions.

1. what type of oil and filters are you guys have good luck out of? (5w20)
2. what type of tranny fluid and filter? and how to on the navigator?
3. the cruise is not working at all. any ideas, no cruise light comes on or nothing?
4. i have a slight shimming in braking? i am assuming need the rotors turned or should i just get new rotors?
5. Has anyone tried like k&n air filter? is it worth the bucks or just replace with stock filter?
6. any other maintence ideas i should do to keep this thing going strong?

Thanks guys for your help and advice..
soloblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 22:54   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: New to Navigators, just want some advice. thanks

1. It has to be 5w20 oil. You can use synthetic if you want. Get a Motorcraft or WIX oil filter. There are other good ones too.

2. It takes Mercon V for the trans. You take the trans pan off and replace the filter inside. It'll only replace about 4.5 qts. There is a way to get more of it out and if you're fairly good at mechanical work, here's how it's done on a Taurus. Just modify the parts that pertain to yours and you'll get more fluid replaced. How to Flush your transmission at home - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

3.Maybe the brake light switch is causing the cruise to not work. Check all the fuses too.

4. Shimmy braking is due to warped rotors. I'd replace them since they'll be thinner after turning, if they're thick enough to turn, and will warp easier.

5. I don't recommend the K&N because if you get a little too much oil on it, it'll conaminate the MAF.

6. I'd also replace the fuel filter and check the air filter. If the coolant hasn't been replaced in a while, I'd flush it and replace the thermostat too.
Old 07-17-2010, 20:23   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: New to Navigators, just want some advice. thanks

I run 0W30 in my Taurus. It called for 5W20, but I changed over to Amsoil synthetics. haven't had any problems in the last several years (one oil change a year!).

I also bought a K&N drop in, but I found them messy and inconvenient to clean (gotta let it air dry after washing, then reoil so count on 1-2 days of downtime). I went with Amsoils EAA filter, which is paper gauze and NO OIL!

Stock filters work good too. With one of my older Dodge Spirits, I'd generally replace an air filter every 10K, for $5/air filter I couldn't say no.

As for maintenance things to check on top of what Bert mentioned above, I'd change out the axle fluid, transfer case fluid and get the coolant checked. If you remove the rad cap (make sure engine is cold), and you see a white sour milk like substance, you might want to consider a coolant flush and fill.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum