OBDII Data 1998 Lincoln Navigator wrong? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-16, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Question OBDII Data 1998 Lincoln Navigator wrong?

Hello,

I have a question regarding the OBDII data from my 1998 4WD Lincoln Navigator but let me tell first what has been done so far.

I finally found a mechanic that is willing to learn how to handle and repair my car.
Living in Europe and finding a good mechanic for a USA car reasonably close by is near impossible, same is getting parts here.
I generally import them from the US myself, so I have no worries or headaches if it fits, if it's correct etc.
Ebay and RockAuto are my friends in this respect, although RockAuto is going trough the roof with shipping costs (and then I still need to pay import charges over everything including the shipping costs, crazy here in Poland).

My mechanic is currently repairing the car because it had/has some outstanding issues.
After enjoying the car for a long time, one of the coils spoiled and the engine started to run rough (misfire cylinder 4)

After the replacement of the broken coil and at the same time replace all the sparkplugs the engine still runs rough on higher speeds in lower RPM (Overdrive is terrible).
Switching off overdrive makes it handle a bit better but absolutely nowhere near it should be.
The engine is vibrating and jittering/stalling etc.

Few things I've replaced that might be related to what is happening.
Serpentine Belt, Alternator, Front Camshaft Seal, ALL oils, fluids and filters have been replaced, coil, sparkplugs and soon the Master Cylinder (still on the way from US to EU).

Now he connected the OBDII device to see if there are any faultcodes that might be the cause for this engine issue, and it's telling him my car is a Ford Explorer and not a Lincoln Navigator
My question is: Could this be a cause for the engine trouble because of software? I honestly have no idea if this was before, because I never found a decent mechanic nor did I ever got involved in it.

For the engine rough issue I still have a few idea's that might be the problem and will need to be addressed first.

- Sparkplug Gap wrong
- Sparkplug cracked porcelain (while installing, it might've happened)
- Crankshaft sensor/connection (since the seal has been replaced, maybe something happened here, but I guess that should give a faultcode?)

If any more suggestions I could pass on, I'm all ears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-16, 04:22 AM

Re: OBDII Data 1998 Lincoln Navigator wrong?

I think I would get another reading by another mechanic. I am sure that this is not the first time a mechanic has used the OBD - and if there was a screw-up, you would have known. Could he be reading from the wrong manual, or better yet, be reading it incorrectly?
Michael van G. likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-16, 05:03 AM
Moderators

It's not saying it's a Ford Expedition rather Ford Explorer is it given the Lincoln Navigator is based on the Ford Expedition platform?

Regards Blue

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-16, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller_2007 View Post
I think I would get another reading by another mechanic. I am sure that this is not the first time a mechanic has used the OBD - and if there was a screw-up, you would have known. Could he be reading from the wrong manual, or better yet, be reading it incorrectly?
I will try to be present when I bring the Master Cylinder around after it passes customs here and have a look along when he connects the computer. Have to add that they are not really equipped for USA cars here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue View Post
It's not saying it's a Ford Expedition rather Ford Explorer is it given the Lincoln Navigator is based on the Ford Expedition platform?
Might be, my wife passed on the info as I was at work at the time, and I can hear her say Explorer, Expedition, it's the same right

Still a few things to check and do.
I will update again in a week or so (est. arrival of the MC).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-16, 02:17 PM
Moderators

Perhaps buy your own code reader; they aren't expensive. Also to save shipping costs on parts consider getting your own US postal address with MyUS or similar.
Bert and Michael van G. like this.

Regards Blue
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-17, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue View Post
Perhaps buy your own code reader; they aren't expensive. Also to save shipping costs on parts consider getting your own US postal address with MyUS or similar.
Will those simple bluetooth ones do which you can buy everywhere, or does it have to be a special kind for USA cars like the '98 navigator?

On a sidenote...

I am going to change all the coils soon, and looking at Delphi or ACDelco coils.
Which would you suggest and which are actually made in the USA?
No sense importing chinese crap from the USA, I can get that shit here in the EU as well ^_^

I have narrowed my current choices between Delphi GN10164-11B1 coils or ACDelco 00BS2002 coils, both being the DG508 kind and fit for my car.

If someone else has a better suggestion around the $125-150 mark, I'd also like to hear it (no chinese crap, already had my fill with those here in Europe).

Thanks again. Mike.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-17, 03:56 AM
Moderators

Quote:
Will those simple bluetooth ones do which you can buy everywhere, or does it have to be a special kind for USA cars like the '98 navigator?
Bluetooth or USB ELM327 should be fine.

Regards Blue
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-17, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael van G. View Post

On a sidenote...

I am going to change all the coils soon, and looking at Delphi or ACDelco coils.
Which would you suggest and which are actually made in the USA?
No sense importing chinese crap from the USA, I can get that shit here in the EU as well ^_^

I have narrowed my current choices between Delphi GN10164-11B1 coils or ACDelco 00BS2002 coils, both being the DG508 kind and fit for my car.

If someone else has a better suggestion around the $125-150 mark, I'd also like to hear it (no chinese crap, already had my fill with those here in Europe).

Thanks again. Mike.
To be honest I don't know if any are actually made in the US these days. I figure most originate from China. I do know General Motors has used both AC Delco and Delphi coils on their vehicles along with Mitsubishi coils as well in the past. My opinion is one is just as good as the other as long as its name brand. I think Motorcraft, Denso, Delphi or Standard Motor Products would be a good choice. I have a 2001 GMC truck with 8 AC Delco coils, 210,000 miles, they are the originals and still going strong.
Bert and Michael van G. like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-17, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
To be honest I don't know if any are actually made in the US these days. I figure most originate from China. I do know General Motors has used both AC Delco and Delphi coils on their vehicles along with Mitsubishi coils as well in the past. My opinion is one is just as good as the other as long as its name brand. I think Motorcraft, Denso, Delphi or Standard Motor Products would be a good choice. I have a 2001 GMC truck with 8 AC Delco coils, 210,000 miles, they are the originals and still going strong.
The originals on this navigator are Motorcraft, but they are over 3 times as expensive as the ACDelco or Delphi coils.

I also read that both brands I've narrowed down used to be a General Motors OEM supplier so I figured they can't be bad comparing to those $50 for 8 coils offers on ebay.
I only worry about the quality standard when they are not produced in the USA.

I already had a few unknown made in China brands which are the only ones available here in the EU, some didn't even last a hour before burning trough.
For now I have 2 scrapyard Motorcrafts as replacements but they are not going to last (car has 150K miles on the counter so they are all coming I suspect).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-17, 10:12 AM
Moderators

Theres an engineer on a mustang forum that did a lot of research and testing with coils, among other things. His conclusion is that most, if not all, come from the same supplier. He specifically said delphi was a good brand though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum