OOPS! 03 expy heart surgery - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22   #1 (permalink)
DJT

OOPS! 03 expy heart surgery

After taking some good advice I looked into a master rebuild kit instead of bits and pieces. I was able to find a full kit MADE IN THE U.S. no less, for about the same if not less than the bits and pieces cost. So I originally only disassembled the top half of the motor and stopped. Now that I have the rebuild kit I commenced a full tear down. This is where I screwed up. It was late, I was tired, trying to maximize the hours that I have off between standing horrible duty hours. Well for whatever retarded reason, after removing the pistons and everything holding the crank shaft in except the main seal I flipped the motor back upright and then started removing the main seal. I don’t know how I thought the damn crank was going to stay in place, magic maybe? Needless to say it came crashing down right on the cross bar of the stand. No visible damage but with all of this work I am not taking a chance. I am sending it to the shop on Monday to get turned. While I am at it I decided to go ahead and get everything 20 over. Thankfully I was able to catch my order for the parts kit before it shipped. I was able to get all the parts 20 over as well. She is going to be a mean machine when I am done.
DJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 11:34   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: OOPS! 03 expy heart surgery

Heavy thing to have dropping down , better calling it a day when you get too tired , that's when mistakes are made as I know from experience .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47   #3 (permalink)
DJT

Yeah I know, not the first time I've heard that. At least there were no emergency room visits involved. BTW, anybody have any media blasting experience?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:16   #5 (permalink)
DJT

I am on base right now and the gov computers won’t allow anything from YouTube to play. Here’s the sitch; I have set up a pretty awesome blasting and spray room. I have a 10x17 portable garage that I set up in my side yard. I put a tarp on the ground inside so it’s like a real room. That and it allows me to easily reclaim the media. The problem is that I am having a heck of a time getting the media to flow steadily through the valves, mainly the one at the bottom of the pressure tank. I have to continuously kick the tank while I am blasting to get it to flow through the hose. I am using Black Diamond 40/60 fine (coal) which is working great when it comes out. Any advice would be great.
Old 03-31-2013, 13:12   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Sorry cant help on that other than keeping valves / jets clean .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum