Owning an SUV condones enviornmental destruction, reduced national security, inordina - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2001, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thumbs down Owning an SUV condones enviornmental destruction, reduced national security, inordina

Here's my side of the story and many other antiSUVers. In the 1970s, oil dependence and pollution were serious problems. Laws were made to improve both of these. Cars got smaller, but also became less safe in many cases. New catalytic converters and better fuel efficency helped the air quality. Having the exact same trends in Europe and Asia called for more efficient engines, smaller cars, and higher fuel prices. From those, public transportation increased, pollution drastically decreased, and hybrid and fuel cell engines are becoming huge musts for energy independence and reduced pollution. A pollution free, hydrogen based transportation system is being heavily invested in Japan and Singapore. They also fully understand that oil is nonrenewable.

Back in the US, a loophole existed for these SUV light trucks to be developed without regard to fuel usage or pollution. Automakers make a fortune from these things, and Americans buy them due to heavy advertising. Small cars are being pitted against large trucks and tragically losing in accidents. America's foreign oil dependence is well over 60% now and climbing. We can't produce enough oil here because it is already gone or rapidly depleting. Pollution rates along with respiratory health problems are at increasing rates due to the increase in carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxides from the big SUV craze. Government is very concerned about our oil dependence and the role the US must play in oil rich countries to protect our oil interests. They don't want to forbid SUVs, but want to encourage people to understand the problems and buy hybrid engine and fuel cell vehicles once available. Bush's energy plan reaches everything from responsible vehicle tax credits to research on nuclear fusion to renewable energy to reducing the global warming problems.

No matter much extra work one does on recycling or garbage pickup, transportation consequences are overwhelming on many facets. They affect our national security, our air quality, our respiratory health quality, our national resources and parks protection, and our highway safety. This SUV craze is a complete backward and dangerous trend for America! Owning an SUV condones environmental destruction, reduced national security, inordinate resource depletion, and reduced highway safety.

For more information, visit www.fueleconomy.gov which further details this serious problem. Many government groups, health organizations, respectable environmental groups, and world scientists and coming out on this issue, and would like the American consumer to know the truth about the many pitfalls of these vehicles called SUVs.

What does everyone think about your SUV? Please let me know, thanks.
fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2001, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
Morally Bankrupt

Everyone I know seems to like mine. And I was damn glad that my wife was in my Expedition when she was t-Boned by some moron without insurance instead of a cracker-box electric car. My SUV can and will be repaired. Fortunately that smurfhole's Toyota won't run again for some time maybe saving his or someone else's life.

I've got a lot of ideas. Trouble is, most of them suck.

A small town is any place too poor to have its own insane asylum.
Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 17:58   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

i do not own a SUV but i own one damn large car. i would not be caught dead in a small car again. i was t-boned in a BMW 3series and was in the hospital for 8 weeks for a severe concussion and recovering for a shattered femur. i had to learn how to walk all over. My wife was in her 92 caprice and was tboned by a 75 or 76 tbird and walked away and her impact was at a faster and she got spun around several times on top of it.

i prefer larger cars and will be getting my wife an Excursion probably after the first of the year.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 19:12   #4 (permalink)
Navigator Member

Bulldoze the rainforest and build a giant shopping mall.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 19:34   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

hahahaha

that is the way to do it
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 19:41   #6 (permalink)
Morally Bankrupt

No no no.
That will never work. Sure the rain forest will provide a fair amount of cheap labor, but who will you get to buy spears and poison arrows? Sams Club and Wal-Mart will just come in and undercut all the prices.

I've got a lot of ideas. Trouble is, most of them suck.

A small town is any place too poor to have its own insane asylum.
Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 21:40   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Bulldoze your SUV and the hypocritical suburban lifestyle.

The rainforest holds many mysteries, cures for so many diseases, and is a huge sink for all your stupid SUV pollution. There must be a balance between industrial development and natural preservation. Bulldozing the rianforests would provide immediate disaster, but at least you wouldn't be around to say Uh Oh bad idea. I guess your "bulldoze the rainforest" comment shows your lack of intelligence as equal as your decision to buy a landbarge.
fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 06:43   #8 (permalink)
***ification Junky

Lightbulb

yO fedup, why cry about SUVs when there are much larger vehicles (of many kinds) at your local contruction site that polute MUCH more than ANY SUV (probably) in the world!

Do you know how to find positive things for your life?
You can start by not comming back to this site!
Second you should go down the street and protest at your local Chevy truck dealership and do all your crying there, not here!

Thanks.
Happy New Year
SST EXPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 21:05   #9 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

Re: Bulldoze your SUV and the hypocritical suburban lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally posted by fedup
The rainforest holds many mysteries, cures for so many diseases, and is a huge sink for all your stupid SUV pollution. There must be a balance between industrial development and natural preservation. Bulldozing the rianforests would provide immediate disaster, but at least you wouldn't be around to say Uh Oh bad idea. I guess your "bulldoze the rainforest" comment shows your lack of intelligence as equal as your decision to buy a landbarge.
Apparently sarcasm and wit is lost on you. If you are trying to be enlightened, and productive, that's one thing. But blaming the public for wanting that which is put before them is asinine. Making general comments about a vehicle and their owners shows your ignorance. I don't know who you're trying to persuade here, but you are going about it in the wrong way.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 09:31   #10 (permalink)

Fedup...Why dont you go talk to your shrink..she'll help better then any of will, or even care to. Resolve your issues and repost something more logical, rather than blaming all the problems in the world on SUV's and there owners. Or better yet...Dont Post at all!

DrawsOnCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum