Please tell me this isnt my transmission !! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 08:14   #1 (permalink)

Please tell me this isnt my transmission !!

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition V8 5.4 L Triton. Ok so about a week ago i went to accelerate fast and my truck did not move the rpms went up and you could hear the engine rev but it had no power !! The check engine light came on shortly after that and this started happening in ever gear to include reverse. Last time I drove it i pushed my gas all the way down again in any gear and it did the same thing rpms picked up a little and then I got this clicking and clunking that sounded like it was coming from the bottom of my truck.

So what do you guys think I hope this isnt as expensive as I am thinking..
trunkssjin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 13:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: Please tell me this isnt my transmission !!

What year and engine are you talking about? Does it feel like it's "missing"?
kerri729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 13:26   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri729 View Post
What year and engine are you talking about? Does it feel like it's "missing"?

Sorry that would probably help haha its a, 2001 Ford Expedition V8 5.4 L Triton.
Old 04-27-2009, 18:50   #4 (permalink)

i would look at the u-joints to see if there is any play in them. i would also run a scan on the vehicle to see if there are any trouble codes.
88poney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 13:48   #5 (permalink)

yeah i got it scanned and it said it was my fuel injectors so i cleaned them all off and it has gotten worse.
Old 05-03-2009, 16:34   #6 (permalink)
canuck

Is there transmission fluid? Very low transmission fluid will enable severe gear slip, or instances where no gears will catch as the clutches don't have sufficient lubrication. There are solenoids in the transmission that can be replaced. Some other things to check into aren't as expensive, and if they don't solve the problem they're a regular maintenance item anyway. Replacing the PCV valve, TPS, IAC sensors are a good start. If it's been 30K since your last tune up with new spark plugs - get it done. If the engine light comes on again get it checked right away. There are codes out there that are transmission specific.

I'd spend the $100 or so and get a transmission service done (fresh fluid and filter). If the tech doing the work doesn't see any metal pieces in the pan, that's a good sign that the clutches are still operable and while the pan is off, spend the $50 (or so) and replace the solenoid, located around the valve body.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:17   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Is there transmission fluid? Very low transmission fluid will enable severe gear slip, or instances where no gears will catch as the clutches don't have sufficient lubrication. There are solenoids in the transmission that can be replaced. Some other things to check into aren't as expensive, and if they don't solve the problem they're a regular maintenance item anyway. Replacing the PCV valve, TPS, IAC sensors are a good start. If it's been 30K since your last tune up with new spark plugs - get it done. If the engine light comes on again get it checked right away. There are codes out there that are transmission specific.

I'd spend the $100 or so and get a transmission service done (fresh fluid and filter). If the tech doing the work doesn't see any metal pieces in the pan, that's a good sign that the clutches are still operable and while the pan is off, spend the $50 (or so) and replace the solenoid, located around the valve body.
thankyou I will try all that !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum