Is this price ok (air suspension)? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 15:02   #1 (permalink)

Is this price ok (air suspension)?

This is for my 04 Navigator.

I had some noise coming from the rear passenger wheel and then I've noticed suspension wasn't right, then the check air suspension message came on.

I went to the dealer and solenoid (sp?) was the problem with possible leak from the air cylinder. I waited a day for the solenoid and after it was replaced they called me saying I need a new air cylinder too (apparently it leaked and toasted the solenoid).

To replace the solenoid it was $350 CANADIAN (I'm in Ontario) and to replace the cylinder (which apparently comes in 6 pieces) is about $1000

Total of $1550 with taxes..does that sound right when doing the repair at the dealership??

I plan to ask for ALL original parts too, just to be safe..
04Navigator04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 17:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Is this price ok (air suspension)?

it is rather expensive to replace those.most are dealer parts only.so you get raped.thats why you would be better off to do a conversion to regular suspension.you can get both front and back kit for about $500 together.i have know several people who replace the compressor and then change the whole thing cause of the leaks.i also know several who have done the conversion.if you do it yourself its about a four and a half hour job.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 19:00   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercougar View Post
it is rather expensive to replace those.most are dealer parts only.so you get raped.thats why you would be better off to do a conversion to regular suspension.you can get both front and back kit for about $500 together.i have know several people who replace the compressor and then change the whole thing cause of the leaks.i also know several who have done the conversion.if you do it yourself its about a four and a half hour job.
If I ever need anything else done on Air Suspension I'll probably switch to regular suspension.

Any idea (aprox) how much would be to install the kit?
Old 05-21-2009, 19:09   #4 (permalink)

unfortunately i dont.all my friends have done it themselves cause of the price.i do know it was over $1000.00 to do the repair for just one axle,with the part.
Old 05-21-2009, 19:22   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
unfortunately i dont.all my friends have done it themselves cause of the price.i do know it was over $1000.00 to do the repair for just one axle,with the part.
$1000 to repair air suspension..?

I meant the price to install "regular" suspension..like those kits you can buy (I found a few for $600-700).
Old 05-21-2009, 19:34   #6 (permalink)

oh...my bad.best bet would be to call a couple of places that do suspension.they can give you a per hour rate.around here it ranges from $70 to $129 an hr.some models are a little more expensive than others.much still much cheaper than air suspension,in the short and long term.they fail so often.people dont have the money to replace them.and dealer doenst tell the average person they can do a conversion.they want that money.good luck
Old 05-21-2009, 20:08   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
oh...my bad.best bet would be to call a couple of places that do suspension.they can give you a per hour rate.around here it ranges from $70 to $129 an hr.some models are a little more expensive than others.much still much cheaper than air suspension,in the short and long term.they fail so often.people dont have the money to replace them.and dealer doenst tell the average person they can do a conversion.they want that money.good luck
It should take about 4h?

I'll call a few places..JUST in case I have problems in the future (knock on the wood). I don't want to do the conversion now after I spent $1500 (although it would probably be less than that, I know a few mechanics that charge $60/h).
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30   #8 (permalink)

OMG..... please don't spend that much fixing your vehicle!!!!! Becaue you are in Canada the weather is killing your air system. A lot of people don't realize how bad cold weather is on an air system. Try out Strutmasters.com. They have many options that will have your car up and running great in no time!!! I speak from experience. I own a Ford Excursion, which doesn't have air but I tow a boat and they hooked me up with a great kit to keep the rear from bottoming out when I was loaded up. Great website :) GOOD LUCK!!!
freddy ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum