Quickest, Easiest way to pull the trans on a '97 Expy 4x4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 18:34   #1 (permalink)

Quickest, Easiest way to pull the trans on a '97 Expy 4x4

I'm Andy from SC the latest FNG. I was sent over here from The Diesel Stop. I'm a Ford truck man all the way and do ALL my own work on my vehicles. Thanks in advance. Now the question...

I'm going to replace the torque converter on my wife's truck tomorrow. The Ford shop manual has me removing the transfer case from the trans. It "looks" like I can pull it all out together, change the TC and reinstall but I wanted to ask someone who has done this job. This is going to be done without a lift. Can anyone help? Any other tips?
Surfref32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 20:12   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Quickest, Easiest way to pull the trans on a '97 Expy 4x4

I did one that way but the weight was off center and I had a VERY hard time with it. That was at the shop with a hoist too. It was on an older Bronco. If you can devise a way to just slide it back, depending on the room, and support it, it can be done. I have to say it weighs quite a bit and is off center.
Old 06-07-2010, 20:40   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
I did one that way but the weight was off center and I had a VERY hard time with it. That was at the shop with a hoist too. It was on an older Bronco. If you can devise a way to just slide it back, depending on the room, and support it, it can be done. I have to say it weighs quite a bit and is off center.

I appreciate that. I've been building some sort of support to hold the assembly with the floor jack in my head. Of course the placement needs to be right so it's balanced. I've got some metal and a little MIG welder. I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck... lol
Old 06-07-2010, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Good luck. Let us know how it goes and a picture of the support.
Old 06-09-2010, 20:42   #5 (permalink)

it's done!!! That was a major no, extreme, PITA. Nothing went seriously wrong but the job was VERY time consuming. So much crap needs to come apart. Four oxygen sensors, two driveshafts, two crossmembers, two torsion bars, the starter, the exhaust, the heat shields and on and on...!!! I spent too much time on the exhaust. Awww heck I spent too much time on everything but it's done and it runs like new again. The support failed on the first try. I overestimated the weight of the transfer case and put the jack point too far to the left and the trans ended up on the floor. Luckily before that happened, I drained the converter and sucked out most of the oil out of the pan and only lost about 2 qts on the floor. I modified the support and it worked but I need to move the jack point a little forward to be perfectly balanced. I will NEVER do another one of these without a lift. I just don't need the aggravation. lol.

I'll post a pic soon. Right now I'm celebrating with some PBR
Old 06-09-2010, 21:26   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You deserve a celebration. I didn't even like doing them on a hoist.

Will be waiting for the pics.
Old 06-10-2010, 21:09   #7 (permalink)

Here it is going back in. You can see I left the front driveshaft in and cable tied it to the shift cable bracket. 212K on this truck. They built a helluva good one that day. Some people won't buy a first year model

Any recommendations on a good code scanner?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eddie E4OD.jpg (134.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-10-2010, 21:40   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I don't know of any that are for home type use. I have one that cost $1200 new. Ebay has used ones that might be worthwhile.
Old 06-11-2010, 16:55   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
I don't know of any that are for home type use. I have one that cost $1200 new. Ebay has used ones that might be worthwhile.

I posted another pic. The other pic didn't really show it well. The rear supports bolt to holes in the transfer case casting and I used two pan bolts at the front.

I don't want a home use scanner. I want something really good that won't disappoint me and fail to read a code or not be able to reset ABS or airbag lights, etc. I do my own cars and trucks as well as friends and family. It's kind of crazy but I have a Coats tire changer and computer balancer in my garage. My next garage will have a lift! I'm not afraid to spend money on a good tool. That's a $500 Hein Werner jack in the pic above. I wanted a 3 Ton quality US made jack I would never have to replace. I researched it and hopefully I made the right choice on that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg support.jpg (134.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-11-2010, 19:06   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

This Snap-on scanner is a good one. The guy has a 100% Positive feedback. I used one at my last job. There are others if you just keep looking.
Snap-On MT2500 Scanner 80s obd1 to 2008 Obd2 EOBD2: eBay Motors (item 230485785954 end time Jun-16-10 13:04:49 PDT)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum