Rear Indicators/turn signals problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 10:40   #1 (permalink)

confused Rear Indicators/turn signals problem

Hi there,

Please work with me on this, as I hope to explain the situation as best I can.

I have a 2003 Navigator, which has had its rear indicators/turn signals changed to UK/Europe spec.

My understanding, is that the 'normal' rear indicators - for USA/Canadian regulations - are the RED rear lights which flash when indicating a turn. These RED rear lights have been de-activated (for UK/Europe homologation) and replaced with teeny-weeny AMBER indicators on the rear bumber (fender?). These amber indicators are really pathetic considering the size of the vehicle.!

I hope you are with me, so far.

The Navi is now in its new home in Spain and I need to re-register the vehicle on Spanish plates.

In order to do this, I want to re-activate the original RED rear lights so that they flash when I turn AND to keep the AMBER indicators flashing, so that the Navi complies with European regulations which require AMBER turn indicators.

I need a drink

The question I have is: HOW can I reactivate the RED turn signals so that other drivers are under no illusion that this is the way I wish to turn - without squinting to see JUST the diddy pathetic amber ones - especially on the highway in brillant sunshine - which we have for 95% of the year?

As always, you help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Chordiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 10:52   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Rear Indicators/turn signals problem

Without seeing what they did to deactivate them, it would be hard to say. Have you removed the lights and see if there's anything in there? Do the ambers come on with the stop lights?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37   #3 (permalink)

Hi Bert,

There are no amber lights in either of the rear lights - both corner and tailgate clusters, just white bulbs and red lenses. They house both the rear lights and stop lights only.

The only amber lights are the two turn lights which have been clearly added to the rear fender.
Old 11-03-2010, 13:42   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I understand that but what I wondered is if the wires behind the tail lights were modified and if the amber ones only work with the signals and not also with the brakes.
Old 11-03-2010, 15:35   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I understand that but what I wondered is if the wires behind the tail lights were modified and if the amber ones only work with the signals and not also with the brakes.
Yes, the amber ones only work with the signals. They do not operate with the brakes.

The wires to the bulbs in the rear lenses do not appear to have been modified, as they come straight out of the bodywork.
Old 11-03-2010, 16:54   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'm not familiar with anything like that but maybe they did something like this. EURO Taillights DIY - Smart Car of America Forums
Old 11-10-2010, 14:48   #7 (permalink)

Bert, thanks for your advice.

I have crawled all over the vehicle and got nowhere

I have decide to look at another solution and that is to replace the tailgate lights completely. I have got a number of styles/designs for which I have provided links for below.

What I NEED, is for the tail lights to flash when indicating a turn. I am unsure if the whole light flashes - presumably the outer ones and not the tailgate ones, or if there is a section within the light unit which flashes. PLEASE have a look at yours and tell me.

The links are here (good old eBay)

2003-2007 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR EURO LED TAIL LIGHTS+TRUNK: eBay Motors (item 200531044546 end time Nov-12-10 08:22:54 PST)

03-06 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR LED RED/EURO TAIL LIGHTS 04 05: eBay Motors (item 400086119500 end time Nov-12-10 14:46:18 PST)

03-06 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR LED TAIL LIGHTS LAMP SET CHROME - eBay (item 190465837205 end time Nov-12-10 14:55:33 PST)

Thanks in advance for your help in this (frustrating) matter.
Old 11-10-2010, 16:06   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Can you take a picture of the front and rear of the tail lights and the amber turn signals? Have you followed the amber signal wiring to see where it goes?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:14   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Can you take a picture of the front and rear of the tail lights and the amber turn signals? Have you followed the amber signal wiring to see where it goes?
Hi Bert,

I will take a photo of the rear in the next couple of days and post it on here.

As far as the existing amber signal wiring is concerned, the short answer is no, as it disappears into the wiring from the rear bumper (fender) where they are placed.

I daresay the wiring could be split from each amber indicator and connected to the correct rear light, thus allowing both the new and the existing indicators to 'flash' at the same rate.

Any auto-electricians care to comment?

Thanks once again.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:55   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The problem with that is that the brake lights have to be shut off on the side that the signal is working. They must have something in the circuit to control that set-up. I'd try following the wires to see where they lead.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum