Replacing Expedition Brake Backing Plate - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 15:15   #1 (permalink)

confused Replacing Expedition Brake Backing Plate

Well, I got all set to do a full brake job on my 1998 Expedition. I got my new rotors, new pads and parking brake hardware. Due to the age and corrosion, I was looking for a fight, but was surprised how smooth and easy everything came off. That's when I realized that the backing plate was way too far gone in places. I was surprised to find that it was a dealer item. (always LOVE hearing those words!) My question is how do I go about pulling the axle/hub to replace the backing plate? I would have thought there would be a notch cut out of it to slide it in behind, but NOOOOO, you have to pull the hub off to get at it. Any help would be appreciated.
ceknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04   #2 (permalink)
Carpe Diem

Re: Replacing Expedition Brake Backing Plate

I assume you took care of this already since we are 4 months down the road now, but if you still need the info, give me a holler cause I just did the task you're talking about.
megreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:26   #3 (permalink)

Re: Replacing Expedition Brake Backing Plate

Yeah thanks for replying, but I got the scoop off another forum. It was one of those "duh moment" jobs though. I opened up the rear end, pulled the pin out, pushed the hubs in, but couldn't get the c-clips to drop out to release the axles for love nor money. I tried prying, pounding and more than a little cussing. After half a day I was staring at the hubs fuming when I notice the back of one lug bolt on the hub was rotated just so that when you pushed in the hub it hit the caliper mounting plate. I rotated the hub about 5 degrees, gave a little push further and "plop" both c-clips dropped right out. tsk, tsk, tsk! Anyway, the rest of the job went pretty smooth. Thanks again for replying.
ceknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum