service engine soon light on and overdrive off light flashing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 05:59   #1 (permalink)

service engine soon light on and overdrive off light flashing

Hey I'm new so bear with me.
About 2 weeks ago I started my 2000 expy EB edition. I tried to turn on the wipers and found the front intermittent and the back wiper not working at all. A few days later started up and found service engine light on steady, and after driving for a bit and getting up to 50 mph the light would start to flash. I took it to Auto Zone to get the codes read and it came back with #4 port not firing and also some air sensor malfunction. I figured it was the misfiiring so i bought a spark plug and replaced #4. When I was crawled up in the engine compartment I noticed some of the wires that are connected to the computer plug (behind the battery connecting into the firewall) were frayed. I didn't think anything about it. After I replaced the plug I drove it and the light was still steady but would not flash when getting up to 70 mph. A couple days later started up and light was still on but then the overdrive off light started to flash w/o putting it into gear. It shifts hard when driving also. I thought maybe if I cleared the computer things would get better. So a day later I unhooked the battery w/o starting it first and cleared the computer. After I hooked the battery up the enigine turned over but did not start. Next day I opened the hood when I had some time on my hands and found a squirrel in there (by the frayed wires). He had built a nest and everything. So then I jumpered the wires together to see if that would fix things. I going to buy a new wiring harness or plug or whatever you call it, but I still have problems. The car starts but the check engine light is steady on, the overdrive light is flashing, and the car still shifts rough. When I was connecting the wires I noticed 2 different pairs of wires were the same color so I am not sure if I switch the pair if it will work or not, I doubt it. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a relay or sensor that could have blown when the wires were touching each other. I highly doubt the tranny is going out at the same time the wires were gnawed. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't do anything until THEIR mechanic fixed the wires (he would do the same thing I did). I am an electonics technician for the navy for 9 years so I do know what I am doing with electronics and wires. With the price tag of the dealer fixing the wires it would cost over 250 dollars before they start their diagnostics. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
ngauwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 14:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: service engine soon light on and overdrive off light flashing

Go ahead and fix [replace] wires yourself--then take it to another dealer if you still have problems and need diagnostics done--bob
bobr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum