Smoking 4.6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 18:16   #1 (permalink)

Smoking 4.6

2001 Expedition runs really good but when stomp on the gas it smokes some of the time. Lots of white smoke.
jd9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 18:29   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Smoking 4.6

Sounds like coolant is getting into the combustion chambers.

Head gasket maybe?

Anyone like to verify this?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 18:53   #3 (permalink)

yea, I think so but what I dont understand is that it does not do it all of the time and the engine has plenty of power. I was just thinking about any way possible that the intake could have leaked water into the intake port. It has an aluminum intake.
jd9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 19:04   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Are you losing & adding coolant to the reservoir? Do you put the pedal to the floor regularly? Or is this a 'new' thing? If it's a new thing, I'd say it's normal as the engine probably hasn't been that high in the rev range. If you keep it up, it should subside.

If fluid levels are holding fine, then I suggest running a good product, such as SeaFoam through a vacuum line (brake booster works best) to help get rid of any built up carbon on the valves. Fuel injector and carb cleaners if you add them to the fuel tank, probably won't help if the build up is rather thick. Running seafoam, and then starting the vehicle after 15minutes will produce LOTS of white smoke from the exhaust. It's normal and will eventually subside. With any luck, after 100miles of driving the engine should no longer 'smoke' when you put the pedal down.

WORST case is a bad head gasket, or a leak into the intake. Still, if the coolant level is holding steady, I wouldn't worry too much.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum