Stuck Parking Break - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 16:10   #1 (permalink)

Question Stuck Parking Break

I have a 2000 Expedition XLT and I never use the parking break. But recently I took it for inspection, and they engaged it. Well, now it is stuck on! And I can't get it off. Of course they rejected it and I have no money to have it fixed. Does anyone know of a way to get it to release? Thanks!
ItsLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 18:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Stuck Parking Break

Sounds like they F'd it up...they ought to fix it! Is it parked on a hill? Do you have the dis-engage lever under the steering column, or is it between the 2 front seats? Does the lever move or is it frozen in place?

Depending on the answers, we should be able to solve your problem. It's just different fixxes for different problems.
redneckf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 14:33   #3 (permalink)

Re: Stuck Parking Break

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckf150
Sounds like they F'd it up...they ought to fix it! Is it parked on a hill? Do you have the dis-engage lever under the steering column, or is it between the 2 front seats? Does the lever move or is it frozen in place?

Depending on the answers, we should be able to solve your problem. It's just different fixxes for different problems.
Hey - thanks so much for replying! No it is not on a hill - it is in my driveway right now. I think they did mess it up but I would have to pay them to fix it of course! The lever is under the steering column, and I can push it down and release it, but it does not release the break when I do that. The parking break light stays on also. When I push down the lever it feels like I am putting the break on, but when I release it, obviously it is not releasing the break. I appreciate ANY help you can give me!! Laura
ItsLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 19:34   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Stuck Parking Break

Sounds like they pushed it a little too far. Crawl under the vehicle and see if the cable is broken or if it is just stuck. If it is broken, you'll HAVE to replace it, although they probably broke it by pushing it TOO far. If it is stuck, spray all the pivot points with some lubricant (WD 40 or the like) and see if it will budge. You might have to try pushing it down farther while simultaneously trying to dis-engage it. You might even have to do it where it goes into the transmission. Fight those bastards at the shop...they did it! I'm assuming you're female by your screen-name. Shop owners WILL and DO take advantage of women, so put your foot down, or threaten to take out an ad in the paper (putting them down)...threaten to spread the word about their mis-treatment of women. It's completely disgusting to me that they won't at least give you an explaination of what happened or what is currently wrong with it. They owe it to you to at least give you that; I mean, you brought it in with no problem, and now it's F'd up. Let me know how it goes, or if you need further assistance. Be careful under the truck; don't get your fingers in a place to get pinched if the brake does dis-engage.

Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2006, 19:51   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Stuck Parking Break

Any Luck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum