SUPRISE & WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06   #1 (permalink)
DJT

SUPRISE & WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE

Making progress. I have gotten the whole intake manifold out, the power steering pump pulley, radiator, disconnected exhaust, almost done disconnecting trans bell housing, passenger side motor mount, hoping to be able to actually pull the motor on wed.

So here are my ?s since I will have the whole motor out and mostly taken apart, what other consumable items I should replace. For example the rear main seal, ect...

Any input would be welcome and appreciated
DJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 13:05   #2 (permalink)
DJT

Re: SUPRISE & WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE

Oh yeah, and the SUPRISE part. A plastic intake manifold, really? I was planning on porting and polishing while having it out, so much for that. Question though. On the bottom of the manifold there is like a plastic cover that sort of snaps on which creates an empty space between it and the actual manifold. There was what looked kind of like an absorbent matt; it looks like one of the ones shops use to catch oil leaks in the space. It is deteriorated to the point of disintegrating when touched. Is this just an absorbent matt or insulation, what is it for? Should I replace it, if so with what, or should I just leave the space empty and hollow?
Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 14:12   #3 (permalink)
DJT

Looks like I should be pulling the block out tomorrow (WED). I should be receiving the heads tomorrow as well. I spoke to the guys at Advanced Auto Parts; the guy recommended I replace all of the seals and gaskets in the bottom as well as the top. I ordered the kit, also the thermostat (from a 190 to a 180) and the PCV. Can anybody think of anything else? I am surprised that I haven’t heard from anybody yet. As always, much appreciated, DJT
Old 03-19-2013, 15:59   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Maybe your are not getting any replies because , like me , they dont know what you are doing .We get many questions from different posters and it can be hard trying to remember every post and what has happened or went on before without going back to previous posts . I cant remember whether your'e fitting a new engine , a second hand engine or overhauling it etc .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 16:35   #5 (permalink)
DJT

Ahhhh, gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!
Here's the scoop; about a year ago I blew out a spark plug, took it to ford for the "Time-Sert" fix. Dealer did a crap job, didn't taper the hole, and didn’t use red lock tight. Well now I blew out the same plug when I started her. This time it took the insert with it. Now I am replacing the heads with aftermarket heads that have a full sleeve of threads instead of just 3. Along with the better plug holes, It is going to be equipped with over sized valves and roller rockers. While I have the whole engine out I am also going to thoroughly clean everything, and replace whatever wearable/consumable parts I should. She has just over 90k. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine2.jpg (92.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-19-2013, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Really depends on how far you want to go and spend , could replace / check oil pump and water pump .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 19:05   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Sorry, I've been keeping track, just haven't been on in a few days. The material I believe is meant to be insulation. As I said before, whenever it's open, replace all seals and wear parts. If you can't get to it when it's running, it's worth replacing now. If you disturb bearings (i.e. take them apart) you should replace them as they often will not seat where they originally were and likely to fail early. Clean everything on the way back out and I will buy a generic spray bottle and prelube the moving parts to help avoid metal to metal contact.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum