The weirdest problem you've ever seen!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 04:39   #1 (permalink)

The weirdest problem you've ever seen!!!

When I shift into gear, my radio shuts completely off, clock and all. No buttons will do anything on it, everything else seems to work fine in my expedition. This started yesterday. Park, radio is on, R N D 1, 2 and the radio is off. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 05:21   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: The weirdest problem you've ever seen!!!

The wire to any radio amp typically is routed under the transmission console and sometimes the amp is also hidden there; the metal shift lever is probably shorting a damaged uninsulated wire when it's in other than Park. Check under the console.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31   #3 (permalink)

I will check that out. But I am hearing something about the Transmission Position sensor. Maybe its how the radio does the autovolume thing where it gets louder as you speed up, So I am going to see if I can isolate that and turn the setting off in park, and see if it works then.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27   #4 (permalink)

Re: Misfire on 5.4L Expedition

Okay, so I took apart the dash and see no connection problems, obvious shorted out wires of any sort, fuses are good, etc. I took out the ignition switch it looked good, but I did find a plastic piece broken off from somewhere inside the switch, dont know where it came from. But the switch appears to work well. So I have ruled down to either its some sort of module or relay/computer problem or the switch is causing it. Can the switch cause this problem? I have noticed I cannot use windows, map lights, etc when in gear. The only thing that works is the A/C system, gauges, and thats about it. Not even sun roof, wipers, sprayers, etc. But the O/D switch works. If you are clueless to this, atleast post and tell me you are clueless so I know people are trying to help.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:02   #5 (permalink)

Is it with engine running or is it ok when you're in position 2?

If it is only with engine running maybe a ground or power is losing contact when the engine torques up.

If it happens in position 2 with engine off then seems like you have a CAN network issue?
tommysauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06   #6 (permalink)

I work on euro-import vehicles and to my understanding the CAN network on domestics is fairly simple.

Something that might temporarily fix it, try disconnecting your BCM body control module, disconnect your negative battery terminal, touch the positive terminal with negative terminal (I know.... sounds wrong). Hold for 5 minutes. Leave the negative terminal off, reconnect BCM then battery. See what happens.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08   #7 (permalink)

Replied in your misfire post... can't see that causing your windows to not work either though.
Old 04-10-2011, 17:27   #8 (permalink)

I just moved the posts, I guess I accidentally put them in the wrong thread. It does it whenever it is in gear, Now radio mainly, but here is some new details... The gas mileage/miles to go screen inbetween the map lights has to reset buttons, and I reset them today, and everything started working again except the radio. Now, I only have a problem with the radio in gear, whether its in ACC, Run, Off, etc. No matter the position of the key, if I put it in gear, I dont have a radio. The windows and other systems are now intermittent, and a newer problem, the 4x4 light is flashing, and the windshield washer light blinks with it. What the hell!
Old 04-11-2011, 00:11   #9 (permalink)

**Update** I have done some online research, and these things are proned to having a windshield leak (that wasn't recalled mind you) and where it leaked burned up the GEM Module. Honestly I have never heard of a GEM Module, and dont know where exactly to find it, and if is any different on replacement than most other electrical parts. Can someone educate me? I feel this is whats wrong due to the almost exact same symptoms all over the web like mine, and the replacement of this part and repair of the windshield seeming to fix the problem.

Bert?
Jwko?

I need help guys, My pockets are about to get real shallow.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03   #10 (permalink)

I'm assuming the GEM module will either be around the steering column or under the glove box. Might be fords term for BCM.

Look for a box with lots of wires that has corrosion on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum