Wiring Confusion on a 98 Navigator Stereo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:02   #1 (permalink)

confused Wiring Confusion on a 98 Navigator Stereo

Hello All,
This is my first post here, and am hoping there are some experts here that can help. First of all I'm a Low Voltage Electrician by trade, so I understand low voltage wiring, speakers, etc. Now, the problem I have, is we have a 98 Navigator, and when we bought it, it was a lemon. We've pumped alot of money into getting it running right, etc and have no money left to work on the Stereo that I'm trying to fix. After having it a short while, the amp and the little 8" subwoofer went out on it. My problem is, the sound quality is horrific without these two things the way it's currently wired up. The speakers in the door sound like a bad college kids home speaker installation job. I looked at the wiring at where the amp/sub was and can't figure anything out there as well as removed the factory head unit, but again, it's just a plug in clip with a ton of wire colors I don't know.

I want to just basically have the door speakers running off the deck, at a standard level without having all low range going back to where the sub was, etc, so that the speakers in the doors sound as good as they can factory level. We can't afford to replace the sub/amp at this time, plus finding an 8" sub nowadays is a royal pain, and the prices aren't worth it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy
jmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 08:18   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Wiring Confusion on a 98 Navigator Stereo

This is what the factory wiring should be. 1998 Lincoln Navigator Stereo Wiring Information
Old 01-08-2011, 09:33   #3 (permalink)

So, I imagine I have to do something with the remote amp wire at the deck then? Commercial sound systems and car sound systems don't line up completely, so I'm a little out of my depth to know which to cut and which to splice it to.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:25   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

What radio is in it now and what are you trying to install?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:57   #5 (permalink)

It has the factory deck in it, and had the factory little amp and sub in the back right panel of the vehicle. Those are shot so I took them out, just two unpluggable cables. Problem is, since they went out, the door speakers all sound like junk, I'm pretty sure because they were somehow being routed through that amp, instead of directly off the head unit. I'm just trying to get them back to factory head unit sound levels so they sound somewhat decent. I'm not installing anything new atm.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:23   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Maybe these will help.

Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum