1999 Sable/Taurus Ball Joint Replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-19-04, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
1999 Sable/Taurus Ball Joint Replacement

I just replaced the ball joints on my 1999 Mercury Sable. I have most of the tools (and Chilton's manual) except for a hydraulic press which I probably could have used to press the new ball joints back into place. I hammered the new ball joints into place using an old pipe which I stuck through the strut hole. I then hammered around the edge of the ball joint until I was able to place the retaining ring back in the groove. The ball joints seemed to work smoothly after assembly into the knuckle and the car drives fine. I am not even sure that I could have pressed the parts together using an arbor press due to the awkward configuration of the ball joint bore. Is there a special tool that I could have used for this repair? Removal of the old was also quite difficult. Any suggestions for future repairs of my Sable or any other car for that matter? Thanks, ChaserTheDog
Sponsored Links

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts