2000 mercury sable brake problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 16:07   #1 (permalink)

2000 mercury sable brake problem

Hi I have a brake problem that I'm really hoping to get some direction with.

I have a four door 2000 mercury sable without traction control or abs. about 6 months ago a leak developed. I was able to determine that it was a rear proportioning valve. I found a replacement at a salvage yard and installed it myself the leaking immediately stopped. Prior to this leak developing there were no noticeable brake problems at least not by driving it. I did not bleed the brakes and didn't know how to, the car pulled to the left and had a spongy pedal. I was sure this was just from air in the system. So I went to get the brakes bleed today and I needed to replace a wheel cylinder on the passenger side, pads, and drums. The rear drivers side cylinder has been purchased for replacement as the bleeder valve is stuck.

After the mechanic did the work the brakes barely work at all. The brake pedal goes completely to the ground and you can't pump it up while running. The mechanic told me he was unable to bleed that side. I have found somebody much cheaper to install this part as the original mechanic was asking $90 just for the part and I bought it at auto zone for less than 10.

So when I slam on the brakes at this point it will come to a decent stop but nothing like it should be... If for example somebody else slammed on there brakes in front of me it would be impossible to stop in time. I would say its at about 40 percent braking power. If I press down really hard I can get the left front tire to squeal a little and lock. It also pulls to the left when braking.

So obviously I will have my new mechanic install the left new wheel cylinder and bleed the brakes again.

I'm wondering though if it should be pulling to the left if the only place they weren't able to bleed the brakes was the left side. Would make me think the right side would be the one working and not the left side. is it likely that the rear proportioning valve is bad still? I got it off a car with a good looking brake system and it was very clean.

Hmm, any thoughts or advice is much appreciated!
Gtq838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 10:05   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2000 mercury sable brake problem

Sounds like a mechanic that I wouldn't have work on my car if he let it go like that. How does the brake pedal feel when the engine is off and you pump the pedal a few times?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2000 mercury sable brake problem

If you replaced the rear proportioning valve and never bled the brakes , it's lucky you got a pedal at all . If you have a cyl . with a knackered bleeder , you can bleed through the pipe as a temp measure .But until you rectify it by replacing cyl. you will still have air in system .If it's pulling to left , check the front right calliper / pads are working o.k .Also try bleeding master cyl. before doing other brakes . Also check front flex hoses , can collapse inside . Never , never a good idea to fit brake parts from a salvage yard .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes