2006 F-150 Vibration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

confused 2006 F-150 Vibration

I recently purchased a new F-150 Super Crew 4X4. It's a 2006 I got it right at the beginning of the year. I'd test drove several before buying this one. I ended up making the deal on-line and drove over late on a Sunday to pick it up. Never test drove this actual truck. Boy am I regretting that now. Driving it home that first night I felt a fairly serious vibration, what could best be called a shudder. It's really noticeable starting at 55mph, less so when accelerating. I live roughly 60 miles from the nearest dealer. So the next day I took it to my local tire store and had them balance the tires (at my cost $50.) They told me "wow, these were really out of balance." Driving home from there it was a lot better but still had a shudder. I went ahead and drove it back to the dealer a couple weeks later. The CD player doesn't work correctly and the lettering was falling off one of the emblems. They changed out the CD player, the emblem and said they found one of the tires was defective. Driving home, again, it starts to vibrate and the CD player kicks out about half the discs I put in it. So I called the dealer, no problem bring it back and we'll get it fixed. So a couple weeks later I make the hour and half trek. This time I insisted a mechanic drive with me so I could show them what I talking about. Keep in mind I have yet to have ANYBODY ride in this truck and not notice the shudder/vibration. I gave a neighbor a ride to work on day, never said anything to him about, after riding for about 10 mins. he said "how come your truck shakes that like?" So I'm driving with this dealership mechanic, he said "those are just bumps in the road." Little farther down the road and more shaking; he notes "man, it sure is windy today." I felt a sudden urge to tell him "Gee Mr. Me-kan-eek I taint never droved me no truck'm befour. Them there is'm bumps and wind. Dang, ya dun solveded all my problems." I didn't, though might should have. Went back and talked to the service manager and told him that guy's full of it, I want this issue resolved. I give up on the CD, I'll just buy an after market unit. But the vibration I want fixed. So they kept the truck for three days (they gave me a loaner) and said we can't find anything wrong.

So my question, if anyone's still reading, is anyone else out there having similar issues? I went on to the audio thread and note others are having issues with the six disc player. But is anyone else have ride problems? If so what type of wheels and what make, size and model of tire? I'm running a basic looking five spoke chrome rim and General Ameritrac P255/70R17's.

On side note: I ended up in Cancun Mexico about three weeks after buying this truck. I'm walking down the sidewalk and a guy pulls into a parking space right in front of me. He's driving a truck that, other then color, looks a lot like mine. In Mexico I guess these trucks are called "Lobos." I glanced at it and noticed the lettering on the "Lobos" emblem was falling off, passenger side same as mine. What are the odds?
Pacridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 18:17   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 2006 F-150 Vibration

This is actually a common issue with 2004-2006 F-150 models and there are several TSB's about vibration issues on these trucks.

This mechanic sounds like a real tool that was diagnosing your truck.

Here is where they can start..........................

06-12-2
VEHICLE / STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION AT 50 MPH (80 KM/H) OR HIGHER - STEERING WHEEL NIBBLE AT 65 MPH (105 KM/H) OR HIGHER

05-26-7
RAPID SHOULDER (TOE) WEAR ON INSIDE EDGE OF FRONT TIRES

06-12-3
VIBRATION FROM THE DRIVELINE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

06-19-16
SHUDDER/VIBRATION ON MODERATE TO HARD ACCELERATION

07-4-5
VIBRATION DIAGNOSIS - TIRE/WHEEL RUNOUT

These are all TSB's from Ford motor company related to your problem. I have found that 90% of the F-150 vibration issues are tire related. Ford will replace any bad tires and have them "Road Force" balanced, but you will get the same shitty tires. Personally, I would purchase a better tire like a Michelin or BF Goodrich and pay for them out of your pocket. The BFG Long Trail seems to work well on this truck.

Good luck with that Dealership.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 18:40   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
This is actually a common issue with 2004-2006 F-150 models and there are several TSB's about vibration issues on these trucks.

This mechanic sounds like a real tool that was diagnosing your truck.

Here is where they can start..........................

06-12-2
VEHICLE / STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION AT 50 MPH (80 KM/H) OR HIGHER - STEERING WHEEL NIBBLE AT 65 MPH (105 KM/H) OR HIGHER

05-26-7
RAPID SHOULDER (TOE) WEAR ON INSIDE EDGE OF FRONT TIRES

06-12-3
VIBRATION FROM THE DRIVELINE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

06-19-16
SHUDDER/VIBRATION ON MODERATE TO HARD ACCELERATION

07-4-5
VIBRATION DIAGNOSIS - TIRE/WHEEL RUNOUT

These are all TSB's from Ford motor company related to your problem. I have found that 90% of the F-150 vibration issues are tire related. Ford will replace any bad tires and have them "Road Force" balanced, but you will get the same shitty tires. Personally, I would purchase a better tire like a Michelin or BF Goodrich and pay for them out of your pocket. The BFG Long Trail seems to work well on this truck.

Good luck with that Dealership.
I guess maybe I'm the tool here- I don't understand some of you're references. What's a TSB? Are these dates you're giving me?

Yeah, I think I'm to the point of just buying a new set of tires. The only thing stopping me is I wanted to know if it's possible the wheels may be bad. I didn't want to replace the tire, find out they're fine and it's the wheels that aren't true. Do you know of some way to make that determination?

New Ford truck...27K
New CD player to replace the crappy one from Ford $300
New set of tires, again, to replace the crappy ones from Ford $900

Getting to drive down the road listening to tunes and not shaking like a blender? I don't know priceless? No, wait it still work out to well over 28K.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:54   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

TSB = Tech Service Bulletin They are designed to aid a Ford tech in diagnosing a problem.

And Ford CD players are crap.

Good luck.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:13   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
TSB = Tech Service Bulletin They are designed to aid a Ford tech in diagnosing a problem.

And Ford CD players are crap.

Good luck.
Diagnose a problem, what problem? It's just bumps in the road and a windy day.

Seriously thanks for your input, helped greatly. I did a Google last night for TSB. This dealer told me they had no knowledge of any vibrations issues with this truck. These guys can look you in the face and lie. That has to be an acquired skill.

And yes, Ford CD players suck. What I don't understand is why my 97 F-150 had no problems playing these CD's, it was OEM. Oh well, trying to look at it in a glass half full way. At least now I'll have a pimped out sound system. I'm just going to replace the speakers, deck and add a changer.

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes