Ford Forums banner

38psi in 215/65/14's

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  oneredED 
#1 ·
Is 38psi (cold) reasonable pressure to run in 215/65/14's for good tyre life?

I'm not too worried about comfort..

Dan..

#2 ·
I run 34psi in mine, which is quite soft. The tyres are wearing very very well though, as the treadwear rating is apparently quite high on them. I find they make the ride quite plush, but still perform quite well.

#4 ·
LOL. That's the same tyres I have! How do you find them? I find (for the price) that they have astonishing grip in the wet, and in the dry they're pretty damn good too. I've had mine for a year (at least 35,000) and they're still meaty as (heaps of tread).

#6 ·
Well I only paid $95 each for them fitted and they have been proved to be really good. As I said earlier I've had them for nearly three years which is a fair while for tyres.

The wear on them has been nice and even, except for the front passenger side which is scrubbing on the outside due to tyre pressue and the strut issue in the other thread..

I'd definately buy them again and recommend them to people looking for good all round tyres.

#8 ·
I'd guess 38psi might be a bit too high (depending on load). See how it goes, check the tread wear across the face of the tyre periodically. If it wears more in the centre lower the pressure, if it wears more on the shoulders raise it. Note that wear on the outside shoulder will be more influenced by how hard you throw it around corners. Another thing you could try is taking tread temperature across the face after you've been driving on mainly straight roads (same theory on temp differences), that will help fine tune it more.

#10 ·
i run 40psi in my 215/60/14. its prolly a bit high but it makes up a bit for my rooted suspension. i was driving around on 35 and as soon as i bumped them up i felt a difference in handling.

#12 ·
The treadwear rating is pretty much how soft the compound is. The low the number, the softer the tyre, giving better grip but shorter life. The higher the number the harder the tyre, giving less grip but longer life.

#14 ·
oneredED said:
LOL. That's the same tyres I have! How do you find them? I find (for the price) that they have astonishing grip in the wet, and in the dry they're pretty damn good too. I've had mine for a year (at least 35,000) and they're still meaty as (heaps of tread).

Smoke well too ey Jared... :wnc:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.