4 Wheel Drive out--now What? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2003, 17:13   #1 (permalink)
fordbear

confused 4 Wheel Drive out--now What?

I have a 97 Expedition, 4x4 5.4L The all wheel drive has never worked and 4 low sometimes since I bought it 5 years ago. Now only 2 high. When I flip the switch on the dash to A4WD the light under the tach just flashes on and off--"A4WD". Up to last week when I turned the switch one click further, the 4 High light would come on and go into 4 wheel drive, no problem. Now the A4WD still flashes but when I go to 4 High there is a clicking sound under the dash like a relay trying to switch for about 5 to 10 seconds then nothing, no light, no 4 wheel drive, nothing. It stays in 2H. I removed the switch on the dash and cleaned it. Still the same. What can the problem be or what can I do? (I have ordered a new switch.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2003, 07:26   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: 4 Wheel Drive out--now What?

I'm not familar with this vehicle (not sold by Ford in Australi) but it sound like your on the right track. I would be looking for a solenoid or relay at the other end of the wiring from that switch.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:55   #3 (permalink)
fordbear

Re: 4 Wheel Drive out--now What?

Thanks.
I've done all but take the entire dash out to locate the relay or solenoid. I can't follow the wires. The switch is not even carried by NAPA; had to order it from dealer. Is there a location to get a wiring diagram somewhere on the net? I think it is something simple, but is causing lots of stress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes