67 xr brakes help/diagnosis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 16:40   #1 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!

67 xr brakes help/diagnosis

standard booster and master cyl (booster on passenger side, master on drivers side)

XA V8 calipers DBA discs up front
XY HO drums rear

she has a very hard pedal, does lock up if pressed hard enough...

How can I get that later series XF feel ?
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 01:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: 67 xr brakes help/diagnosis

how about this.

transplant an XF master cyl & booster to ur car.
the xf master cylinder is proberly has a larger diamater piston.
u will have to make shure it has the valve in it for having drum brakes.
cant see y i could not be done, ud deffently get a better pedel
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:55   #3 (permalink)
5.8 litre

I take it you still have the single system master cylinder? The XA front calipers and XY rear drums have larger cylinder diameters than the standard XR disc/drum setup, hence more peddle effort is needed to stop the car. A larger diameter master cylinder is needed, and a later model larger one requires a fair bit of work to make it fit. I was running a simular setup to yours on my XR and I had the "low pedal feature" XR master cylinder which has a slightly larger diameter than standard. There was also 2 types of booster on the XR's, vh40 and vh44. One is bigger than the other (can,t remember sorry) which will give more boost assist when braking. This did help a bit but my brake peddle still needed a good hard push to brake. In saying this the XR GT had both of these so you should have them anyway.
I have seen an XW booster and master cylinder fitted to an XR. The booster mounting plate and that part of the firewall had been cut and welded into the XR. A bit of work though. I have also seen the duel system XT master cylinder fitted to XR's, but not sure if this would help.
xd351ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 17:21   #4 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!

Got some great advice from hoppers stoppers in VIC and they say that my master cyl has a 1.25inch bore wich is too big for my brakes... They say I can most probably have the bore resleeved to 1inch xw and on... this will make a big difference. They also have an aftermarket master cyl from Jap...but not a straight up fit... need few mods...
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 18:35   #5 (permalink)

[ hence more peddle effort is needed to stop the car. A larger diameter master cylinder is needed,

You will actully need a smaller diamiter master cylinder to increase presure. Going larger will decrease the amount the pedal moves and the pressure it will create.
bcr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 23:14   #6 (permalink)
Trust meeeee, It's Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrgt
Got some great advice from hoppers stoppers in VIC and they say that my master cyl has a 1.25inch bore wich is too big for my brakes... They say I can most probably have the bore resleeved to 1inch xw and on... this will make a big difference. They also have an aftermarket master cyl from Jap...but not a straight up fit... need few mods...
Hoppers install the Jap master cyclinder onto my XP and it works great. I am only boosting the fronts rear are non boosted. I install the Hoppers twin spot brakes on the front.

www.XSeriesFordClub.com
XpCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes