87 Tempo brakes - HELP!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 14:34   #1 (permalink)

87 Tempo brakes - No fluid to Rt. Front or Lft. Rear - PLEASE HELP!!!

After relining all four wheels on my 1987 Tempo Sport 2WD and bleeding the brakes, only the left front disk and right rear drum brakes activate while depressing the brake pedal. Apparently, a proportioning, diverter or some other type of master cylinder valve is not "centered" properly and won't allow fluid to flow to the other two wheels. Without spending $100 plus at the Ford dealer to have the system power bled etc., how do I fix this problem??? THANK YOU! JJ

Last edited by barley4beer; 10-06-2006 at 14:51. Reason: New Title
barley4beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006, 20:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: 87 Tempo brakes - No fluid to Rt. Front or Lft. Rear - PLEASE HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barley4beer
After relining all four wheels on my 1987 Tempo Sport 2WD and bleeding the brakes, only the left front disk and right rear drum brakes activate while depressing the brake pedal. Apparently, a proportioning, diverter or some other type of master cylinder valve is not "centered" properly and won't allow fluid to flow to the other two wheels. Without spending $100 plus at the Ford dealer to have the system power bled etc., how do I fix this problem??? THANK YOU! JJ
Put a bleed hose on all the cylinders , drop the end in a jar with some fliud remove the master cap and wait , with anyluck they will gravity bleed.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 13:10   #3 (permalink)

Re: 87 Tempo brakes - HELP!!!

I have also been advised (through the Tempo Forum) to bleed each cylinder by pumping the brakes several times and then holding the pedal down while an assistant just cracks a bleeder screw (furthest from master cylinder first), allowing some fluid to flow and then quickly closing the screw, repeating until no air remains and then going on to the next closest bleeder. Does this make sense to you? Someone at Ford told me that on this Tempo, the front and rear brakes are segregated diagonally rather than front to rear so that if one system failed, you would have at least one disk and one drum brake opposed diagonally to keep you straight in a stop. Is this true? I don't think any cylinders are stuck. I believe it is the master cylinder/valve system that is not allowing fluid to flow to all four wheels. I'll try your bleeding technique and see what happens. Any other ideas? Thank you. JJ
barley4beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes